How long before prescibed doxycycline ??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,went to Optometrist today. Started off with much irritation,blurred vision etc. I have mgd and at times outer eyelid inflamation. Its very unnerveing,started mid march. Diagnosed about a month ago. I would like to try an antibiotic Like doxycycline. She wants to just keep the warm compresses fish oil etc. Says she wants to give it another 6 months. 6 months of seeing like this,my son is getting married Oct. I would really like to try and reduce my symptoms before the wedding. How long before your doc offered you the option of trying it? Very depressing. I know it might not work,but it would be at least a try.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You will need to insist. I think it's expensive & they have a set routine of giving other, cheaper options first unless you are assertive.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi,Im in the U.S. I was reading on the net in the past that was the first treatment for mgd. I didnt care for her. One if her responses to my questions was and I quote,well you wont go blind. Very empathetic. Not. She told me she was sarcastic by nature and she was. I dont need a sarcastic doctor.
  • Posted

The doxy is not expensive at all. I buy online in uk and is very cheap.. You don't need a prescription.. You can get them online with out it.. You can buy straight from a pharmacy.. You just have to say your going to a country that have high malaria, like somewhere in afica.. there used as anti malaria tablets too.. just type in Google doxycycline/ malaria and I'm sure you find somewhere on there.
  • Posted

Acouple drops of tea tree oil and no tears baby shampoo, washing the face with it has been very helpful, for me. smile
  • Posted

Hi, my symptoms started in March two years ago and followed by five months of acute eye inflammation, swelling, itching, crusty eyelashes and swollen eyes for which I was prescribed chloramphenicol twice and self medicated on same twice. In desperation I went to Moorfields clinic drop in clinic and was finally diagnosed with Bleph and prescribed antibiotics and a steroid gel which treatment took two months. My condition did improve somewhat but that's all. My gp recommended Johnsons baby shampoo straight from the bottle and hot flannel application twice a day. This helped a lot but. Really found the hot flannel application a pain. So I tried Blepharitis Mask which I heat up in the microwave for 40 seconds. Over a period of time my symptoms improved, blurred vision improved greatly and I rarely experience it now. I keep up the regime twice a day whether I have the symptoms or not, to keep the meibomian glands free flowing. I use wipes before and after treatment and during the day if uncomfortable. It seems a lot of bother to start with but my routine has got quicker and the 10 minutes with the heat mast is now my relaxation. Don't rush for strong antibiotics as if it's MGD they won't have much effect. I use drops for dry eye too.

i take 6000grms of omega3 every day which made a massive difference reducing inflammation. Antihistamines can be considered if you have allergies.

Occasionally I wear make up if I feel my eyes can take it. 

Read ad as much as you can about the condition and by trying all sorts of types of care/supplements you will find what suits you. 

sorry this post is so long but I well remember how I felt when in your position and you have my sympathy. It's taken me a while to accept that it is a life long condition which needs constant management. Good luck and try not to let the condition get you down too much whilst you are trying to get it under control. 

• Posted

Thank you Pam,the blurred vision and dry eye symptoms drive ne nuts. I read online that the docy is supposed to help thin the oil in the glands. My irritaton is in the glands in the upper lids. Right eye is worse. She said my secretions were somewhat thick. Thats why I wanted to try the doxy. I only take 3 1200 mg of fis oil. So you must take double of what Im taking.
    • Posted

I'll remember doxy for the future. It's really difficult with this condition as it seems to affect everyone differently. I didn't get a detailed verdict to be honest . I just made my own way. Eventually every time I wiped my eye after heat treatment I was like squeezing toothpaste lol. After a while my eyes slowly improved. I think that the omega 3 and heat treatment keeps my MGD in control and when the Bleph kicks in I get Fucidic acid from doc. Fo two months and it worked last time. However the same symptoms never happen twice,. I guess we just have to gather as much info as poss from other sufferers and use it as need. I know I shall never be free of it so.....
    • Posted

I know,ive done so much reading i feel like i know more then the doctors. I told her something she didnt know yesterday,she didnt believe me and looked it up. I was right lol
  • Posted

I also agreed to the dr trying all the alternatives before Doxycyline. 6 months + of misery, before finally I saw a junior dr said 6 weeks of Doxycyline. Worked brilliantly and I've been symptom free for months now.

i clean my eyes carefully and use drops for dry eye but apart from that I'm fine. It's not an expensive drug. I know drs are told to cut down on anti biotic use but sometimes you just have to use them.

Try insisting and if refused buy via a pharmacy, saying you're off to The Gambia on holiday. Well known tourist country and you need anti malarials.

• Posted

Glad to hear it worked for you. I also have an eye condition that i might have to have surgery on someday. I have another apt with my reg eye doctor on tuesday. Going to stress that point as im sure they would want to get the dry eye better before a surgery.
    • Posted

Maybe thats the key,a younger doctor thats more up to date on treatments and not so set in their ways.
  • Posted

My husband's brother is an opthamologist (just retired) and he also

has Bleph.  He told me once time that he was on Tetracycline.

Might ask about that as I think it's pretty inexpensive.

• Posted

Thank you for your input. I want to be able to be half way decent before my sons wedding.
    • Posted

I've never been on doxy. But will remember it for the future. I really hope you get a handle on your condition by October and that you can see all that is going on. I do have confidence for you....fingers crossed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.