How long did you need prescription med?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my left hip replaced   June 26.  I was prescribed Hydrocodone, Tylonal, IBprophen.  I am trying to get off of the Hydrocodone - I am down to 2 a day but I am still in pain. I take 1/2 tab. Hydro.  at 6am & a IBProphen  - another 1/2 Hydro. & Tylonal at 2pm and a whole Hydo. & Tylonal at bedtime to be able to sleep.   It feels like a toothache in my leg that goes all the way down to my foot since cutting back on the prescription  pain med.   I was wondering am I rushing it too much getting off of the prescription pain med.?  I have my 6 week appointment on Fri. with the doc.  How long was you on prescription pain med.?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You should be a LOT better in about 2 weeks. 

I think you are doing great taking half a pill. BTW you know hydrocodon is Vicodin, right? When this prescription runs out maybe call and see if he can switch you to Codeine with Tylenol. you need something if you still have pain so you shouldn't feel guilty. Obviously you are not abusing since you have cut yourself down to half a pill during the day. Vicodin obviously can be very addicting, I'm not sure but I think it is stronger than codeine.

• Posted

Catalina, I wondered about this as well around the same time frame, but now looking back, it is an individual experience. If you feel you need them then take the medication, eventually you will not need it. I am 6 mos out and there is still an occasional day I take an anti-inflammatory. Allow yourself the healing time you need. I feel that we each require more or less medication, until we no longer it. Good luck in your recovery process.
  • Posted

I was off my pain melds 5 days post op.

but every one is different, we all have a different pain threshold...

sending hugs

linzi x

• Posted

Hi Catania, I am also at 5 weeks post op (30th June) - I am 52 and on the same equivilent UK meds. I have cut out one dose out and like you still need a dose at night to get me through more than 3 hours sleep.

I tried cutting back but found that I couldn't walk when I was tired or had overdone it a bit.

My doc said all is normal and to use the pain relief when I need it as pain hinders healing because you don't walk normally.

• Posted

Hi Catania, 

I agree .. it is very individual .. the philosophy (the way I understand it) of taking pain meds is that one will be able to move more - do exercises etc. 

You are doing great actually - do you have side effects or just want to stop taking them ?  

welcome to this wonderful forum !!! 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi,

we all different, tho like Linzh i was off pain relief at 5 days, except for 2 junior asprin for amonth as an anti DVT precaution! I take paracetemol occasionally if I overdo things, but that is it!

good luck!

mic

x

• Posted

All the doctors say take the pills and keep being mobile - the trade off should be take the pills not reduce them and incur disabling pain. It gets better when it gets better in terms of pain and if you bump your pain up by not addressing it then it will be harder to get control of again with meds.

I still take it when I need to at 6 weeks and am mobile and swimming. Second time around for me and I learned the hard way - exercises for small muscles are very important - so walking is not enough - and not to stop the meds too soon. 

Try to be your body's best friend xxx

• Posted

I was off pain killers at 2 weeks and had a phone consultation with the GP when I requested a review of my medication. He was quite happy to stop all melds but one, quite correctly suggesting there would be times when I needed something. I have had to use cocodamol very occasionally when I have overdone it. Everyone is different and has different needs, take what you need to, the time will come when you no longer need it
  • Posted

i am on 2 co dydromol twice aday as i am waiting to go in for my lthp and i find that aches, but you must do what you feel comfortable with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.