How long did you wait for surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm new to the board. I was diagnosed with small gallstones and partially calcified gallbladder walls last Friday following a week of GB attacks and my GP referred me to the surgical team on Monday.

I was wondering how long people had to wait between their referral and their surgery. There is no doubt in my mind that I want my GB out ASAP. The bland low fat diet is already grating on me and the fear of eating is awful sad

Patience has never been a virtue of mine when I'm ill.

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I waited two weeks. I had an attack; the next week had ct scan; next week had surgery. It only took one attack for me! Keep me informed about how you do after surgery.  rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi hollysuzanne I saw consultant on weds 28 January and op booked for April. 
  • Posted

Hard to say as it will depend on the operating lists. Once referral mine was just over 4 weeks. Once you have seen the consultant and he will be taking out the gallbladder then wait about a week ring the consultants Secretary up and ask if they can give you an approx date. If in between time your ill ring the Secretary again to see if they can bring it forward.
  • Posted

Unfortunately I have been on the waiting list for 7 months now with 5 ambulance trips and a stay in hospital with pancreatitis caused by a gallstone. And I just keep getting told there are lots of people still ahead of me. Its awful.
    • Posted

Are you all on a one payer sysytem? That is why I do not like that sysytem. Your wait time is too long and one has to suffer. Hopefully, you will get those out soon!
    • Posted

Im in uk and an NHS patient. If I wanted the operation sooner as a private patient I would have to pay £5000 plus for it. 
  • Posted

I'm strongly considering getting a loan and going private. I'm a student midwife and its affecting my course sad I just wish I knew what the waiting time was for my area so that I could prepare either way. Thanks for your replies.
  • Posted

Hi, you could also ask surgeons secretary if they have a cancellation list if you are able to have surgery at a few days notice. I got a call on a tuesday asking if I wanted it done that thursday. I didn't I needed time to worry and stress about the op !!!! But they got me in the week after that. Im also in the uk.
    • Posted

I will try that although I think I will have to wait until I've had the initial consultation with the surgeon. At the moment I've only seen my GP. I'm having attacks every other day at the moment trying to figure out what I can and can't eat. Tomatoes and anything to stop based is a no for me sad
  • Posted

Hi, sorry I misunderstood I thought you had seen a surgeon.it only took 2 weeks from gp refering me to initial appointment with surgeon. As far as eating goes everyone seems to be different. I have put to someone else so sorry if you've already read this bit else where. For me I could eat breadsticks, gingernuts, homemade soup, peppermints helped and drinking more water and fresh apple juice not concentrated.
    • Posted

Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. My referral letter was sent on Monday and I haven't heard anything yet from the surgical team. I may still contact them on Monday to check they have received my referral and see if they can give me an idea of timelines. I'm a student midwife and due to be working in the hospital that day so may even wander down on my break - I just don't want to seem TOO pushy and get myself thrust to the bottom of the pile!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.