How long do I need to sleep with the leg up?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got my surgery 3 weeks ago and would like to know for how long I need to sleep with my leg up.  Also how much should I walk with the plastic booth.  I really appreaciate for a feed back.  Thank you

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It probably doesn't help but I had a feeling I wanted to try with my leg down and I tried and it was fine. If you feel you want to try have ago. I only had crutches and again I tried without when I felt I could but kept them close.
    • Posted

Thank you Sally.  I will give it a try.  When did you have your surgery and where.  I had it 3 1/2 weeks in aSn Diego.

• Posted

I had my left done in feb and my right in my May. I had them done in England. Hope you get a good nights sleep.
    • Posted

Wow!   It is very brave from you have 2 surgeries in the same year.  I have a mild bunion on my left and I have a reservation oing it.  The main reason I live by myself and don't have family in town.

Are you doing motion exerises now?

• Posted

At 4 weeks post op I felt quite good, saw my surgeon and asked about second foot and he said I could so I went on the waiting list.

I did used to do some exercises but I am pretty much back to normal now. My toe does ache if I walk a lot but only the recent toe. M

Sadly I will have to have another as my first has a cyst and I need it removed. 😢 just waiting for the date now but it will be very quick and quick recovery too.

• Posted

It is remarkable!  I have 3 1/2 weeks and my foot hurts after I walk around the kitchen (preparing quick meals).  When did you started your exercises?  Did you do your redressings of your foot yourself or the doctor.  How often.

My doctor told me to do it myself everyday after I was my foot.  I don't have a clue how to do it right.  I am doing my best but the area aroung the big toe still swallow.

• Posted

With my first foot I didn't know anything. The dressings stayed on then at 2 weeks I saw nurse, had stitch ends cut off and all dressings removed. Never had them back either. I rested for two weeks then saw surgeon 4 weeks post op. He then told me about exercises and I then did them every night. I stopped doing them when I felt they weren't hard anymore.
    • Posted

You have a great surgeon.  Did you have done in USA ?  I did it in California
  • Posted

I am 2  weeks post op and I asked that very question today to my nurse.  She said as long as I keep my foot elevated for most of the day it was ok not to elevate it at bedtime as I,d be  lying horizontal anyway..

i am still in the surgical shoe and think I will be for the next few weeks.

i hope this helps.x

• Posted

I had both of my feet done and have two boots. I slept with my feet up for about two weeks. After not sleeping very well for those two weeks and missing sleeping on my side or even on my stomach, I tried to lay in bed without elevating my feet. It didn't hurt me and that was the first night i slept for more than 3 hours straight.

I would say (if your doctor hasn't said anything) to try it out and see if your body is okay with it.

Hope you're feeling better!

• Posted

Thank you for your feed back.  I will try to stay more in bad with my legs horizontal.  Are you doing the redressing of your foot yourself or the doctor?  The doctor did it one time (when he removed the stiches) and asked me to wash my foot every day assuming I have to redress my foot myself.  I don't have an idea how to do it correctly so I saw the youtube and found that my doctor didn't do it correctly.  He didn't tight my foot to keep the big toe straigh.  I am trying to follow Youtube and I feel much better even though I am not doing it correctly.  What is your experience in this regard?
    • Posted

I went back to the doctor 4 days after surgery, and then each week after that. I watched him wrap my foot each time, and just tried to absorb it. Although, I have only started unwrapping and rewrapping my foot within the last week or so.

Just do the best you can and take it easy.

I will advise though, if I wrap my foot too tight, I get some wicked muscle spasms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.