How long do you have side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

How long do the side effects last?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Depends....how long have been taking, etc. Each person reacts differently. I had for 2-3 months after being on for only 2 months.
    • Posted

Only 3 weeks at this amount .so I should give it more time?
    • Posted

Have you completely weaned off? If so, def give more time. Gabapentin is a terrible drug. Side effects can continue even after stopping. Good luck and feel better.
    • Posted

I did but I had to go back on because of nerve pain .
    • Posted

Does it help your nerve pain? Didn't with mine. Made me loopy, tired, etc. Didn't stop pain. Ck with your doctor if can take something else.

• Posted

I started out with 100mg once a day then 2 100mg then 3 100mg then 4 100mg now at 5 100mg it is stopping it but I have only been taking 500 a day for 3 weeks . My doctor said she would just let me take up to 600
    • Posted

I was prescribed 300 mg per day.  As you, started at 100 for several days, then 200. Never did make it to 300. Cldn't handle the side effects. And, did nothing for pain. I continued 200 until cld no longer tolerate side effects. Slowly tapered off. Had withdrawals and side effects for months. If you feel it is helping and side effects not too bad then continue and give more time.

• Posted

I wish I could quit I have nerve pain in my arms and shoulders if I don't take it .

• Posted

Hi dorbocon are you off gabapetin? Side effects could very I would think what are you having
    • Posted

I was and had to start back up due to nerve pain . These are side effects from starting back up
  • Posted

I have been off Gabby since February. First few months was horrid.

Been starting to feel much better over the past month but still dealing with digestive issues, stomach aches have stopped but still have some bloating!

This drug needs to be tapered very slowly!

I was taken off way way to fast!

Good Luck..

• Posted

I took a huge dose for 5 years: tapered from 3600 to 100 over 18 months. I took my last dose July 11, so it has been just a month totally 'off' this drug. It has been hell. The first month I had stomach pain and rebound nerve pain and nausea so bad I could not function, and ran to my GP for all kinds of testing (all negative). Good news is the nausea is less, my constipation is going away a bit, and my sleep is more normal (I can fall asleep naturally, even if I only sleep for 4 hours).

The bad news is that I am so anxious and depressed it is pitiful - I can wake up crying, or cry at stupid TV commercials; look at my husband and feel horrible frustration and anger at a man I dearly love; and get so anxious at 3 in the morning that I am permitting myself to take a tiny dose of Ativan, once every 3 days. The other times I just lie there and try to breathe through it.

It is a long, hard haul.

I have found that Magnesium and Chlorella help. Good luck - hang in, and have faith.

• Posted

I did get off of it but had to go back on because of nerve burning Now I have anxiety will that go away?
    • Posted

I think so - there are no guarantees but I have suffered from various forms of anxiety all my life, and what I am feeling now is definitely a result of Gabapentin withdrawal. It is decreasing - I can see that - but it isn't linear. I can have a couple of good days and then it surges back up. There are many ways to deal with anxiety that are healtier - eating a good clean diet, meditating, and exercising. Supplements like magnesium can help. I had the most terrible nerve pain for years - I was suicidal without the Neurontin - but as I treated the underlying causes of the pain was able to get off the Neurontin. I feel for you - I know this is truly hell. And whatever you do be patient with yourself cause it will take time. And I have to say I recommend homeopathy.

• Posted

I had to go back on the gabapentin because of nerve pain now I have anxiety how long does anybody think I will last . I would love to go back off of it but don't really have a choice

• Posted

It was ccaused by Lyme and co-infoections, and when I treated those, the nerve pain went away. But honestly, when I first got sick, nothing treated the pain but Neurontin.

• Posted

I have Osteo-Arthritus in both feet that's affecting my knees now.lts weight bearing pain. Built up to 3200 mgs of Gabby over a year's time. It did nothing for the pain, just made me sleep good.

Dr took me down to fast have been thru months of withdrawal and finally starting to feed L better. Doctors don't tell you how to wean off correctly.

Lesson learned for me the hard way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.