How long does acute tonsillitis last?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am a 44 year old male and having a firstterrible case of acute tonsillitis. I got a sore throat about 2.5 weeks ago and after 4 days it felt like a piece of jagged glass shard in the throat. I was traveling so I couldn't get to a doctor immediately. I got fever and chills which I controlled with paracetamol. Gargling didn't help much. As soon I reached home I went to a general physician who said I had pus in my tonsils and misdiagnosed it as "quinsy", peritonsular abscess, the ENT next day put me on a regime of oral antibiotics but to no avail for 4 days. He asked me to get on to IV antibiotics which he gave for 2 days that helped about 25%. He put me back on 5 more days of antibiotics. I stopped them at home as they were making me feel worse, sick and tired. I am trying all the home remedies but not much help. I am tired confused and exasperated. My tonsils have white pus lines, throat feels raw and inflamed. please share experiences, how long does it take??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ive had tonsilitis quite a few times in my life and its always gotten better within two weeks without antibiotics, less than a week with. I hope you feel better soon. Are you sure these are puss lines and not plaque (atleast i think its plaque) balls that build up and get trapped in your tonsil pores? I get those all the time and sometimes they feel like an infection and they also feel "stabby" when i swallow. I get something like a dental tool with a blunt tip to avoid hurting my tonsil and try to wiggle them out, carefully though.

• Posted

Hi Maria, Thanks, They look like white streaks and the ENT doctor said they were pus. I wouldn't mind having the pus or plaque removed! Maybe I will feel better. I am just concerned that I am in my 3rd week but very slow to no progress.

• Posted

I have chronic lingual tonsilitis (had tonsils removed at age 5) i have had this pain and swelling in my throat for over 8 weeks.

It has been lasting about 14 weeks. Twice a year. Its driving me nuts. And has been going on for years. Finally got diagnosed last year.

Removing the plaque on tonsils sounds a bit dangerous. But interesting.

There is a reason abx can make u feel unwell and thats something called Herxeimer reaction (google and check spelling ).

Do u have other illnesses that could impact on your tonsilitis or immune system?

Can u feel the swelling on the outside of neck.

Have u had a 'scope put up nose down throat. Or ct of throat or xray ?

A swab?

Strep does live in the body. I feel ok on antibiotics. It improves it a bit. Then it gets worse

It can be viral though and allergies can make it worse. Do u smoke?

Have u gargled with salt water ?

I just want to eat all day to sooth my throat. Mine feels like i just had tonsils out. Its the bit left behind that hurts. Sorry this is so long.

I wonder if the realise how painful it is.

If your glands are up its a sign the body is fighting something.

I have something wrong with my immune system

Have u had this before?

Rhon Melb australia

• Posted

Thanks Rhonda. This is my first time. I don't smoke. I have gargled with salt water but doesn't help much. I can feel swelling on the outside of the throat as well. It's worse on getting up. The doctor didn't feel the need for a swab or ct.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.