How long does Estriol take to work?

Posted , 10 users are following.

HI

I have had symptoms of urine infection for over 2 weeks, had my urine tested 3 times but no infection. GP thinks it is VA and has prescribed Estriol cream. I have used it twice but still got the symptoms. Can anyone tell me how long it took to help?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I do not know how long it will take with Estriol.  I was using estrogen cream and needed to be on it for 14 days then I have been using Vagifem 2 times a week (inserting tablet)....that has taken away the discomfort from Atrophic Vaginitis.....such a blessing.  Going to my GYN for check up next week and to see how long I will be on it or whether there is something else more natural.

keep us posted

Best Regards

Wendy

• Posted

Thanks ever so much for replying. Do you mean you were on the cream for 14 days before you noticed a difference or that Vagifem worked better?

Glad to hear you are sorted and helps me to know there is an end to this!!

• Posted

Hi. I used Ovestin for two weeks and then twice a week. It probably took about a week for my symptoms (sound like yours ) to go away. I used it successfully for over a year. However, I had surgery (for an unrelated condition) and had to stop using it pre my op and then post op as I was on blood thinners for a month. After about three months the VA symptoms were back with a vengeance 😰 and to be honest I'm now struggling. On my second lot of antibiotics in three weeks seeing my GP next week in the hope of a miracle. I think it works while you use it but then once you stop it comes back. Horrible isn't it?

• Posted

According to what other women have written that is correct. Hormones only work while you are using them. The issue becomes how long do you want to be using hormones. The longer lasting solution seems to be the Mona Lisa laser treatment which apparently rejuvenates the vaginal walls. Insurance does not cover it...yet. Some women have had great success with it; others not. Don't know why it would work better for some than others. Doesn't seem to be a matter of age. Perhaps instead how much the AV had progressed...don't know. 

• Posted

Hello Catherine

14days I inserted estrogen cream.....discomfort was better but still uncomfortable...then started Vagifem 10mg 2x weekly for several weeks before I started to feel normal.  I've been on it for over 6 months now. Anxious to hear what the doctor says next week.

Before I was diagnosed with Atrophic Vaginitis....I never heard of this or the suffering. Just complaints  of dryness.  How about you all?

lets keep each other posted.  I am in the US.  Do they have this Mona Lisa procedure here?  What is the cost and it is it successful ?

take good care!

Best regards,

Wendy

• Posted

Aww, thanks for your reply and yes it's awful, feel sorry for you. Miracles do happen and sounds like you have been in the wars. Good Luck.

• Posted

Thanks Wendy, No, I had never heard of it either. I will update as to how I get on and let us know whay your GP says.
    • Posted

Wendy, Mona Lisa is definitely available in the U.S. Search for it on this site and google as well. Lots more info that a year or two ago. It's a 3 part office procedure. Causes body to produce collagen. Similar technique used on faces. I haven't had it yet, but plan to if my symptoms worsen. Wouls much rather go that route than hormones.

• Posted

Thanks. Am I being impatient, can't believe this seems to have come out of nowhere. I am in the UK. How do you all manage day to day, with work and family and the pain?

• Posted

I had similar problem 4 years ago.There was no infection..Lack of estrogen causes sluggish bladder,so it feels like it's always full.I went to doctor who is certified to offer pharmaceutical and no pharmaceutical hormones.

I got bio identical Estriol, which mimic our body natural Estriol.But I gave to use it with one "click" of bio progesterone..It was working in matter of 48 hours! I use it 3 times a week, before bedtime.

Only 0,5 mg Estriol and tiny bit of progesterone does the trick.Estriol is applied intravaginal with applicator and bio progesterone topical in the body, , wrist,chest, neck, groin skin, anywhere where is not fat.I can use 1 mg each time, but 0.5 does the job.Once a year I have a blood test for levels and vaginal ultrasound.I am feeling very good, everything is OK.

I wish you get better.

• Posted

I was prescribed estriol to apply to the vulva. My nurse practitioner said to give that at least 6 months to make a difference.
    • Posted

It was .125 strength so weaker than the other person got and it is much weaker than estrogen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.