How long does it take for the side effects of citalopram to subside?

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hi

I started on 10mg citalopram 10 days ago and have felt really rotten since. I suffer with migraines

And have had a migraine every day for the last 6 weeks. Following discussion with my neurologist we both felt that I was getting a little low, eg not looking forward to things, tiredness, not sleeping and getting very anxious at times.However since starting the citalopram I feel really down, no energy to do anything, no motivation, nausea and dizziness.... And also waking at 2-3am & unable to get back to sleep, constant headache

Is this Normal and will it settle, if so how much longer do I have to stick it out for?

Thanks in advance for any help

Fern

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fern

It can take a little while for meds to settle. I have been on anti dep for 19 days now

I had awful headaches at first , no appetite, tired but struggled to sleep, I think I actually felt lower and more anxcious!

My doctor and people on this site say it can take up to 6 weeks for meds to settje

hang in there you will begin to have better days very soon.

Keep posting on here it does help.

• Posted

I've only just started on the exact same 10mg about just over 2 weeks now. All i can is its like a roller coaster up n down, i do feel more motivated but get a sudden burst of motivation like cleaning then feel like I'm having a anxiety attack then sickness and going to faint. Reading the forum's its just your body getting used to it. But try and do things to take your mind off it all. Hoping not to up the dose as started on 25mg and never felt so drowsy in my life! Just wanted to sleep, actually felt asleep on the floor 1 night. Just try and think positive thats all I'm doing now. I know its hard but there is light end of the tunnel xx
    • Posted

Laura

We’re the side effects make you drowsy and nausea on some days and not able to sleep?

• Posted

Yeah the side effects can be a bit unpleasant but hopefully as our bodies adjust to the meds things will settle. Cant be any worse than the effects of depression prior to being on AD. Hopefully you will feel better soon.
  • Posted

I find they have helped me a lot, i do feel better, i have more go in me now, instead of feeling constantly down and emotional, it's just the sickness really my mate advised me to even do a pregnancy test but its ok im safe! Thank god i think if i were that would trigger me back to how i felt. Just feel like a ticking bomb I'm scared something will trigger it off. I was so bad. Does anyone else find its really hard to sleep though? I suffer from insomina anyway. Hard thing about it my family are strongly against antidepressants so they dont want me on them, so feel like I'm taking them behind their back. But i know some people say they not good and all that, but i feel they do something for me. Last few days has been good I've actually been laughing. Think my partner has noticed the change. Xx
  • Posted

Hi,

I was on citalopram for a few months and I had awful side effects at first - vomiting, headaches, etc, and for the first few days I struggled to sleep as well. It can take up to 6 weeks for you to feel any benefit from the medication, but I think the side effects should really be gone after two weeks. It's definitely normal and it should settle, but if it continues for more than say another week, you should maybe consider talking to your doctor about it - just to see if they think it's worth sticking with that medication. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Deborah Thanks for your encouragement about Citalopram. ive started tonight as my GP advised me to take it in the evening its 10mg which she said is a low dosage.I Does the side effects work differently on individuals? Thanks again  x
  • Posted

Yh the stomach pains aren't as bad, still sickness. Just feel exhausted really. Finding it really hard to sleep. When i take it at night it knocks me out but not for long. Like last night went a bed at about 11 still woke up now and then, then at 6 wide awake wish i could just switch my mind off. Its like my body wants to sleeps but my mind dont. Hopefully feel better. Hope you are too xx
  • Posted

Hi Laura. How are you doing now. I have been taking cit for 30 days now, still feel fatigued and mornings a problem re motivation etc. but nausea has settled. My mood hasn't improved though and just wondering I need to chat to GP to see whether I need to increase dose to 20mg

Cheers

Fern

• Posted

I have been on 10 g Citraplam for a month then upped to 20 then 30& 40 over three months.A year of this I felt awful & then advised drop my meds over three weeks 40-20 then 20-10 then none for five days.I should then start 25g Sertoline two weeks & then 50g over 2 weeks.I dropped far to quickly & as OH awsy abroad totally unsupported.Felings of anger,tears,agaitation over a week.I tried tge 25g dose for two weeks & it did nothing.So after an unsuccessful session with psych counsellor I stopped taking them.Its now two weeks free of any tablets.I feel very low,tearful,& full of mistrust re the dr's.I know im struggling but am I better off the meds?
  • Posted

Been on cut 10 mg for a week. This is the 1st time I've taken ADs. First morning felt like I was walking the earth for the first time. No sickness, but then dizzy, light headed, loss of concentration, shakes, and all the yawning. Sleep definitely less, and although I wake early, I'm finding it impossible to get out of bed in the mornings. Most of the side effects seem to be dispersing, but what about the motivation in the mornings? Will this get better?
  • Posted

Dear all,

This is my first time posting in this forum, and I would like to join the community. I started with 20mg citalopram two nights ago. Last night was particularly tough!! I had been suffering from anxiety during several weeks, feeling extremely stressed and with irrational fears, that I was going to faint or get sick in the train, that people around me were not going to be helpful, that I was going to be abandoned there and so on. So my therapist (I have been in therapy for almost 3 years now) suggested me to see a GP. Years ago I suffered from depression and I was in Paroxetine for around a year. I had very few side effects, apart from waking up in the evenings. Now I was given citalopram and started two days ago. First day, I felt great. I didn't know if it was a placebo effect, but I recovered the hope that I could feel better one day soon, that there was a solution. Last night, however, after my second dose, I moved from a big happiness and smile to a desire of just crying, I felt some funny feelings in my muscles, had nauseas and could sleep only for 3 or 4 hours. I was really thinking of stopping it, especially after reading it may take two weeks until these effects pass. Are there stories of success or hope there? It is worthwhile resisting the effects?

• Posted

Hi Cesar

Its the first time being on this site too. Im on 10 mg hope yours is the right dosage for you. I havent been Citalopram before. Been feeling feeling recently and times before. I kept putting it off for fear of what the side effects would do but I have decided to try it after talking to my GP..hope all goes well with you ..

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Wow, I am re-reading what I posted 11 months ago, and things are so happily different in my life now! Believe me, the first week or so might not be that good, but hey, things are bearable. I had a bit of nausea, some shaking and could not sleep... But at those moments, I decided to be honest and tell people close to me what was happening. That was a relief, because I didn't need to be strong anymore!

Little by little, things started to improve. And I helped that with changing my diet, taking some time off and starting with exercise. I downloaded an app of the NHS called from Couch to 5K and I started running. And I also found some free yoga lessons on youtube (check yoga with Adriene!) to re-connect with my body. 

You know when was a turning point for good? One day in my local park in which I decided to lay on the grass and spent a whole afternoon just looking at the clouds! smile

Julie, things may be tough now in your life, but you can find happiness within yourself. It will be slow and you will have to be patient, but this bad moment will pass.

A big hug for you!!!!!

César

• Posted

Hi Julie thanks for your reply Ididnt expect it so soon wow too!

yes IM sure I will be fine .although I am starting on the med. IM a christian believing God for his intevention im my life. I had been feeling, though of low moments and getting tearful which I know I need healing . just having stress time of finding a job at the moment not getting the response Ineed totally!!

thanks for your reponse . hug for you too! biggrin

• Posted

Hi Julie

How are you getting on? First time on this site for me too... I started taking Citalopram 4 days ago and I feel so rough. Was prescribed it for anxiety and depression. Broke up with my long term partner on first day of taking it too so hardly pleasant. Been a total mess and im sure its making things worse. Constant crying and anxiety, cant leave the house, no sleep, not eaten anything other than a shake in 4 days. Awful. How are you getting on? Any improvements?

Sarah

• Posted

Hey Sarah, I just wanted to say that the first two weeks or so are tough, but gradually you will find improvement. The most important thing is that you are not on your own. Believe me, life will smile you soon! -César
    • Posted

Hi Cesar. Thanks for speedy reply. I am so on my own, this is the problem. Literally locked away in a darkened room watching boxsets! This is so horrible...they make me feel so upset. I just wish i could sleep but im finding it impossible. Great to know u guys r there and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel... Thanks you Cesar. 

Sarah

• Posted

Yeah I think im going to watch another episode of this show then try to get some sleep then try a cycle maybe. Thanks Cesar... even just this little chat has helped.. crazy huh. smile. Where are we all btw? is this an American thread? or UK? Im in London
    • Posted

Great! Look, the weather day is very nice today. When I was ill, I was incapable of taking buses, trains or the tube. So each day, I went on little walks to a nearby park. That helped me a lot. Also, sometimes I just wanted to cry in those walks and I just let it go. Just remember, it will not last forever!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

Thanks Cesar and I hope not as its the most awful awful thing. I had postnatal depression after I had my kids and that was 16 years ago... I never thought I would slip backwards again. Thank you for your support smile
    • Posted

Yeah, it sucks, but one day it will become just a memory. Have an amazing day and enjoy sunny London today!!!
    • Posted

HI CESAR

I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM. I HAD QUIT SMOKING BEGINNING OF APRIL. WENT INTO SEVERE DEPRESSION. WAS FIRST PUT ON WELBUTRIN TAKEN OFF NINE DAYS LATER. WAS HORRIBLE. PUT ON CELXIA. ALMOST THREE WEEKS. NOW ON HALF TEN MG PILL,THE NAUSEA IS AWFUL AS WELL AS MUSCLE PAIN AND SOME JOINT SWELLING. WILL THAT GO AWAY. I HEARD LEXAPRO IS BETTER?

• Posted

Thank you Cesar.

Today will be my 5 day with Ci, like you, first day I felt calm and good, second day I cry for 2 hours and continue all afternoon and night, 3 day was good, yesterday was not so good, but today, I don't like it, chest pressure, and upset stomach, had some hot flashes, o small attacks, I'm still wondering if I should continue with the medication today, but after your history, I'll go ahead and take the pill, I have some hopes.

Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.