How long does it take paramedics to respond?

Posted , 4 users are following.

(Living in the U.K.)

I hate to write this post, but I need advice.

After getting drunk and fighting with my mum, my stepdad told us he'd "taken at least 30 paracetamol." We rang an ambulance as he seemed to become disoriented and told them he'd taken approx 30, the operator said the usual "Don't leave him alone, make sure he doesn't try and throw up, if he gets worse call us straight back." Anyways, we rang 999 using his phone, and a little while afterwards he snatched it back and barricaded himself in the bedroom.

During this time he used his phone to ring a friend, although the operator said not to ring anyone else using the phone. Will this mean they're unable to call us back? Also, if my stepdad rang 999 and said to cancel the ambulance and that he didn't need one, would they cancel it? I only ask as he's hinted that he has in fact done this.

We rang them at least an hour and a half ago, how long should it take for an ambulance to arrive?

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if this post doesn't make much sense I'm trying to type as fast as possible and post this question.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Probably not a help but I have taken far more then 30 in one go an didn't have any problems however is it possible to go to a neighbours house an ask to borrow their phone to ring. 999 an check with the operator ? as he will need to be checked out to make sure no harm has come to his liver as our bodies all react in different ways . I was put on a drip to make sure the paracetamol was flushed out of my system also on a couple of occasions I was given charcoal by the paramedics once again to prevent damage to liver, regarding Ambulance arrival time it will differ from county to county , town to town an how busy they are at that time , I am sorry that I am not able to help more , I do hope he will cooperate an get checked out , you could also phone 111 for their advise on the matter , take care .

• Posted

Hey there just come across yr post a fortnight old i know. Just wondered if yr stepdad was ok in the end. Did the ambulance arrive? Hope so xx
  • Posted

Hey there just come across yr post a fortnight old i know. Just wondered if yr stepdad was ok in the end. Did the ambulance arrive? Hope so xx
    • Posted

Hi,

The ambulance came 7 hours after we phoned 999. The local hospital kept ringing every hour or so to ask if there were any changes and apologise for the delay.

And yes he's okay now, they kept in for a while for observation and then released him with no further action xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.