How Long does it take PPIs to Leave the System?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Does anybody know? I can't find any definitive info on the net anywhere. My ankles are swollen from taking Omeprazole. I took the last one on Saturday morning. Should the swelling be down by now or do PPIs take longer to leave the body? Thanks.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had tests before surgery earlier this year and I had to come off lansoprazole 48 hours prior.  I was told this is the tlme they take to completely leave your system 
  • Posted

Have you spoken to your GP about this as it is listed as a serious side effect:

Nexium can also cause a rash, itching, hoarseness, and swelling of your feet, ankles, arms, hands and lower legs. Call your doctor immediately when you present with Nexium's serious side effects.

• Posted

Went to my GP who was totally blasé about it. The fluid was going down by then.  She didn't even examine my ankles at all.  Just gave a perfunctory glance towards the floor.
    • Posted

What can we do about the many doctors like that?

• Posted

Report them, they're there for US  they're public servants and have a responsibility 
    • Posted

I can't seem to find a good one no matter how hard I try.
    • Posted

You need to cultivate them and the surgery staff. 

I think that my one is really good but many of my neighbours seem not to.

• Posted

Rose,

I would think that since the medication has to be taken every 24 hours that it's effectiveness last about that much time. 

As for your sweeping going down, that is dependent on your fluid intake, diet, activity and other variables going on in your body that may or may not be related to the medication.

Try elevating your legs when lying down.

It's amazing how all medications work differently in our bodies.

That is why I size really doesn't fit all.

Let us know how long it took for your swelling to go down.

What other solution are you using for your reflux since you are no longer taking omeprazole?

• Posted

Hi Dreaming.  It has taken about 9 days for the swelling to go down completely.  I also understand that the effects of omeprazole can last up to 3 months.  So far I don't need to take anything for AR as either my stomach has been ruined for good wby the omeparazole or it is still having an effect.
    • Posted

What strength of the omeprazole were you taking?

Where did the thought that omeprazole could ruin your stomach emerge from?

Could it be you are healed from your AR?

Maybe the swelling in your legs happen to help you become aware of this.

Has anything else changed about your health?

I am pleased for you that the swelling went down.

It's amazing how the body works together as a whole communicating with it self.

Keep me/ us posted. I would like to know if the ompreazole is still in your system for 3 months. How long has it been since your last pill? 

• Posted

I was taking 20 mg.  The reason I am concerned about my stomach is that it is now known that if you take a proton pump inhibitor for a long time, your stomach can lose its ability to return fully to normal as far as acid production goes. Up until 4 years ago, I had been on Omeprazole for 8 years. When I came off it, I developed a variety of food intolerances. Nobody can tell me why this happened although I have read that low stomach acid can be a cause.  With my history I was not keen to try Omeprazole again and wish I hadn't now.  I can tell that I have even less stomach aicd now after this last lot as I get acid stomach if I eat more than a certain amount of food, and I only ever eat small meals.  While on Omeprazole this time, I would also wake up with a sore stomach.  I took my last pill about 11 days ago.  I still had ulcer pain while taking Omeprazole anyway so didn't really gain anything.
    • Posted

Rose,

I heard you speaking of your stomach being ruined.

Is this statement something you fear?

What evidence do you have that anything is going wrong with your stomach right now?

Yes, you have taken Omeprazole for a long time, but why worry, be happy You are not having any Gastro symptoms right now, or are YOU?

Food intolerance happens to everyone with age, or shall I say changes do happen with or without taking medications.

Just wait.

When the medicine wears off in 3 months you will know your stomach status.

As for now, why now enjoy this window of not taking the medication and do things to support your stomach lining like taking digestive enzymes, DGL, probiotics.

It's good you are experimenting to see if you need the ompreazole still, you may or may not, time will tell.

I am interested in knowing if you were able to walk away from them without a rebound effect.

I have been on and off Omeprazole for 2 years and fine myself on again.

Like you, I want off for good and am trying the things I suggested you try to support a healthy digestive system.

Seeing You successful!!!

• Posted

Hi Rose, I have been on aomeprazole for years and have never had swollen ankles. It's more to do with fluid retention. I would see your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Giblet...Fluid retention is a documented possibe side effect of Omeprazole. Not everybody will be affected of course, but it has affected me.
  • Posted

Hi rose . dont now how long you have been on them but i was only on them for 0ne month and i stopped them as the side effects were worse than the condition I to had swollen ankles plus stomach cramps and nauseaus feelings , .I went onto ranitidine which were better and less agressive after two weeks i had a bad rash coming out on my arms and legs and bad constipation  so stopped them also. So only on acid free diet. low fat, and high fibre diet , I use coconut oil for cooking instead ov others and it seems to help , which is working , tough but working ( I do miss my bacon butties cry ). I feel better and no side effects . I 'd lost a stone in weight  during this time and not over weight to begin with but hope i can remain stable now . Its taken a lot of time and energy to look into changes to diet but it seem to be working. Hope you soon feel better toosmile x  
    • Posted

Hi mo...I too lost a lot of weight that I didn't really have to lose, but not due to the Losec, simply because of the acid reflux which fortunately has gone now.  I still have very little stomach acid and hope it returns to normal soon.  Losec effects can last for up to 3 months if you take it for 2 weeks which I did. Glad to hear you're feeling better.  I hope it continues. smile
    • Posted

Have been on omeprazole for ten years and now think I am suffering from side effects. Main one being numbness/altered sensation in chin and ankles. Having pain and swelling in ankles and no one knows why(MRI, X-rays ok), and insomnia. Reduced it slowly and now off it. Going to try ranitidine!!! Also on herbal stuff which seems to be good if taken at night. Sad to hear it takes 3 months for Omeprazole to get out of the system!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.