How long does it take to get back to normal.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went for my 6 weeks review and was told I'm out of hip precautions and can start getting back to normal. My next check up at hospital is now in 6 months.

I wrongly assumed that I'd be able to get dressed without my aids etc.

Each day I try to do a bit more.

With a struggle I can dress without my grabber but still can't reach my feet so use my sock aid.

I've found some exercises on line from another hospital specifically for post 6 weeks.

So my question is how long before my operated leg feels like Normal ' again.

Walking is not a problem, I do about 45 minutes a day at a fast pace with no pain.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hippy28

I'm now 7 months post LTHR, it did take me quite some time to be able to dress probably even at 12 weeks I still needed to use the sock thing.  You will improve with each day it takes time, dont rush it or you could damage yourself. I was still using crutches at 3 months, then it was a bit of a rush to get off them as i had to go back to work. Look after yourself and dont do more thatn your body lets you.

• Posted

Hi Daffi,

Thanks for your advice. I know my problem is I tend to rush things and find it hard to accept that healing takes time.

I've been told I can go back to work at 10 weeks as long as I use a stick and don't do any heavy lifting. Luckily I've a sympathetic boss whose letting me do 5 days to see how I cope then I've got a week off and then if all ok I can go back full time.

I realise now its a longer process than I thought but worth it in the end.

• Posted

Yes hippy I was told at 6 weeks all restrictions are off.Unfortunately that doesnt  mean you can do any of them!!!! I used my grabber for weeks and weeks and still cannot put on one sock without pain, sleep on operated side, cross bad leg ( think that is permenant) and do everything I did before and I AM 20 WEEKS IN. So all restrictions off means you dont have to be quite so dehabilitated but it doesnt mean that all of these things are duable! Increasingly I am being told 6 months or one year and at this rate I feel that is far more realistic.For all those exceptionally lucky people who can just jump back in pain free after the op ,good for you but regretably  not everyone is alike.PS
  • Posted

Start putting you foot on a small 10-12" step stool and sit on a chair. You should be able to get your sock on. Feel normal again? 6 months. Don't over do the fast walking or you may wind up with Stem pain which should also go away with time. I am over a year and forget I had it

• Posted

Thanks for the idea with the stool I'll certainly try it in the morning.

And thanks for the advice about my fast walking. I was thinking it was good for me but I certainly don't want to cause more problems. I'll slow down!

Good to know that this time next year all this should be a distant memory.

• Posted

Hi Steve, I followed your advice for putting on my sock without using the sock aid and using a stool. I'm pleased to say it worked. Thank you.

I'm also doing other stretching exercises to try and wake my muscles up. Gets a little better each day.

• Posted

The best advice is ... take your time.

Your body will slowly allow you to do more each day, don't push it too far, that's when we get problems.   I am over a year post THR, and still don't consider my leg fully recovered.

I commute for 2 hours in to London every morning, and the same back out, I now climb the escalators on the tube, and have been known to put on a bit of speed to catch a bus 🚐.

I think I should have carried onmassaging my scar area harder and for longer, as it does feel quite tight.  I'm going to my first pilates class on Friday, exciting stuff.

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

I will be interested to hear how you get on at Pilates.  My friend had a hip replacement over a year ago and goes to Pilates and she says she feels it's really helping her and improving her general movement.  Im on the waiting list for a left hip replacement and hope to start Pilates as soon as I feel able too.  I was born with hip dysplasia and although it was fixed when I was three, 46 years later I now have bone on bone and my alignment is all terrible as is my posture, this is why I'm really interested in Pilates after my operation.  

• Posted

Had my first session yeaterday - one-to-one with my teacher.  My teacher was very good, kept asking me if being on either side or other positions was painful.  It was fun, and I walked out feeling so much better.   I am absolutely sure it's going to benefit me long-term.   Hardest bit was getting up off the mat.   surprised

The movements are slow and purpouseful, which must be good for us and our replacement hips.  I found I really had to concentrate on moving just the muscles she wanted me to move, and stop the other bits of my body from moving.  This is rather like I found walking with my new hip, if I concentrated really hard, the limp would disappear.  

I know my posture has deteriorated, and after just one hour I already feel it is improving.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Hi Rocketman, wow thats great, and it sounds like you improved a bit even after just one session. 

I have a bad limp just now, and I really hope a new hip will help that, but because of that and my bad alignment for years and years I think I've a lot to sort out and straighten 😀

I'm meeting with my Pilates instructor this week for a coffee, (she's also a friend ) and I'm going to ask her if she thinks it would be worthwhile going before my operation to get a feel for it or if I should leave it till I'm on the road to recovery,

Im so pleased you walked out feeling better, that alone makes it worthwhile.

thanks very much for replying .... lizbet 

• Posted

I've been able to go back to yoga now, and have always had one on one. If people can afford it, it's definitely worth paying for private sessions, preferably with someone who has training in adapting it for your medical conditions. My yoga teacher is also aphysiotherapist and had loads of experience with arthritis and hip/ knee and ankle joints. My accrual physio, who recommended her, is a Pilates teacher too. So they aren't in short supply if you ask around. 

That way you can have some confidence that the person teaching you is paying attention to every move you make, and knows what you should or shouldn't do for your particular circumstances. 

• Posted

Absolutely go with someone who has training in adapting to medical conditions.  That's how I chose my teacher, she was recommended by my private physio, and immediately I contacted her asked all about my medical condition and asked if I could lay on my side, and get up from the floor.   She asked me all about the THR before we started (I took along my X-Ray), and she kept making sure I was OK.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

I'm 14 months left hip and 6 months right hip replacements. It's been a long journey but 100% worth it. I've been able to get socks on both feet for last last three months and can bend at the hips and knees to pick things up from the floor easily.

Do lots of different movements, front and back and sideways to exercise the muscles but take it slowly and let your body tell you how far to go instead of pushing yourself.

• Posted

Hi. I went to physio and got more exercises. I did them religiously and went every month for the next lot of exercises. This helped with leg strength and better range of movement. Walking was no problem. I find even now at 9 months out I still need to do them or I stiffen up a bit. I went back to work at 12 weeks but had to reduce hours as I was too tired and sore. Lucky my boss was ok with this.

I'm 52 and also had a bone graft with my thr. Haven't looked back. Ready for the next leg.

Good luck.

• Posted

I think everyone heals differently and you just have to listen to your body.  I am at 9 weeks post op, I returned to work two weeks after surgery and was walking without and assistant.  At 5 weeks I was able to dress myself less socks and shoes.  Now at 9 weeks I've changed the oil in my truck, climbed up and down a latter taking christmas lights down and yesterday I cut down down five tree's in my backyard.  But then again I wore my hip out by the age of 40 so sitting still is not my style.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.