How long does it take to walk in sand?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just curious. I'm on vacation where there is sand now in Mexico, and at 14-1/2 weeks, I have a heck of a time walking on grass that is uneven, and wonder when I will be able to walk on sand....that one seems like it will be very hard. Anyone know?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I wonder. This is a new one.
    • Posted

Hi Daphne

What is your question????

Once we know we may be able to give serous advise to help you.

Mr Ankle

• Posted

Hi Patti

What is your problem. That's if you do have a serious problem you want to talk about.

REGARDS Mr Ankle

• Posted

I was just curious if anyone had any experience or timeline re. when they could start to walk on sand and how to approach it. Tituscanby1 had great advice.  I'm not in a cast anymore. Btw, I heard you can never be in sand (beach sand or playground sand) with a cast, due to sand mites, for others out there in casts still.
  • Posted

Do you have crutches? You can get special feet for them for sand, and you can get snow ones too. If you haven't got them with you, pick some up and get the feet for extra support so you can enjoy your holiday.

@{°+°}@

• Posted

Look on Amazon, or a disability site. I wanted some, but they're only in USA I think. Just slide on the bottom of crutches. Have to remove existing rubber. I have a thing called unifoot on the bottom of mine. Give a 3" x4.5" bottom with 4 points of contact. These things work on walking sticks too.

I used to go to Surf Lifesaving to watch my daughter. Couldn't go on sand. Looked the sand and ice feet up- and was envious.

• Posted

Sand pan ( All one word) from Amaz... All terrain. Fit bottom of cane or crutches.. Keep getting edited for trying to help. Boo hop.
  • Posted

Walking on the sand probably is the hardest to the ankle joint...remember jogging along Mexican beaches last year ( before the trauma)...I am stil NWB myself, on my 6th week only. But in my understanding it will take time for sand and uneven surfaces...Enjoy your vacation and I wish you a speedy recovery!
    • Posted

Thank you Olga. I'm too afraid to try it yet, but was dreaming about it this weekend when I looked at people playing in the sand. I am going to get the Sandpad Tituscanby1 recommended for an August trip when I will be going to the beach again. When can you WB? What was your injury? It was so exciting for me to start WB- felt like a new life began...but that took time (4-5 weeks to get to full WB). I am just walking in sandals for the first week...but very slowly...but I'll take it. This stuff is all about patience!
  • Posted

Hi Patti. I wish I could give you an answer , but I'm only 5 weeks post op. So it's all new to me. I'm hoping I receive my appointment through to see my consultant. I had to ring the fracture clinic on Friday to see where I sotto with appointment and it appears I have been forgotten about. I'm not on the appointment system. Not good. I don't seem to be having a good experience all round. I'm going to tenerife end of Sept and hoping I'm going to be OK for then. I hope you can get the answer you are looking for.
    • Posted

Happened to my nephew in the UK. First Dr in A&E didn't even write notes. Then there was a Drs strike. Then as he wasn't on the system, no appointment. Left in Limbo haha.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am so sorry you are going through all that June. Keep calling for an appt. That is important. What is your injury? I had a triple ankle break and am walking in sandals (slowly but walking) without aids at 14-1/2 weeks, but everyone is different. Hang in there...I wondered if I would ever walk again when I was at your point in time. Try to just fill the time with some quiet things you have always wanted the time to do. Exercise, books, movies, keep busy with friends and family, get sunshine, eat well, exercise your upper body if you can, take Epsom warm baths. The body just has a schedule and it takes a long time with ankle breaks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.