How Long does pain Last?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Guys was diagnosed with DD nearly 3 years ago after a flare up. Confirmed via a CT scan. For the past couple of years been fine with odd twinge but have been able to live/work normally, go to the gym etc. Had a flare up in September prescribed Antibiotics and pain eased however nearly 3 months later I'm still getting varying degrees of pain daily. Went for another Ct scan 4 weeks ago which confirmed there was no perforation etc. Pain can vary from a twinge to a stab when I get in/out of the car. Is this normal? Doctor simply gave me a leaflet about coping with DD. Feel very uneducated about whole thing :-(

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sounds just like my experience since the beginning of August.  I was diagnosed 15 years ago and had 3 flares which cleared apart from odd twinges, after about a month.  Latest flare in August left me in daily pain still at end of October.  Like you went for another colonoscopy and CT scan which confirmed nothing sinister.  My pain came in bending, twisting and the bumps in the road when driving.  I woke up in pain every morning which eased but did not go, after the first bowel movement.

So I joined this forum and trawled the posts.  I was reassured to learn that many people have pain for weeks and months after a flare, with the most common reasons given being scar tissue from internal damage, and time for the inflammation to settle. One person reported that they were told it could take up to a year.  

Many people made suggestions, and it depends on what you are currently doing.  My GP prescribed psyllium husk, a soluble natural fibre drink, which I take daily.  It softens/bulks the stools and makes them easier to pass so helps clean out the system.  Brand names include Metamucil (USA) and Fybogel (UK) but there are others.  I also take PURE Aloe Vera juice (not the drink) plus probiotics to help my digestion.  My pain eased considerably after starting the Aloe Vera and I recently enjoyed a few pain free days.  I still have to watch my diet as I ate something I shouldn't 2 days ago and the twinges returned but are settling again.

I think if you read through some of the latest posts on this site, you'll find lots of helpful information, and many others in exactly the same position as both of us.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Villadeano get on a regiment of psyllium every day. It acts like a laxative and will make you regular and will push all out of your colon. When your colon is clear your not going to get Diverticulitis.

Psyllium is mainly used as a dietary fiber to relieve symptoms of both constipation and mild diarrhea and occasionally as a food thickener. Research has also shown benefits in reducing cholesterol levels.

The plant from which the seeds are extracted tolerates dry and cool climates and is mainly cultivated in northern India. Psyllium products are marketed under several brand names, such as Metamucil, Fybogel, Konsyl, and Lunelax.

🇺🇸

• Posted

Unfortunately Yes you will get pain like you were saying . I find if I lift heavy things I get a stabbing pain or if I eat fruit or to much fibre you name it just goes on some time i cant bother to eat but its all trial and error I have had DD since 2011 been in hospital a few times and always carry Antibiotics with me but try my hardness not to go on them if I get a flaire up I don't eat for 24/48hrs just fluid if the pain is still there i start taken the antibiotics

• Posted

Yes, I have continued pain after my last attack. I had my first attack in April then one in may and one in June... I was still having pain above where my DD was in my left side I got so worried I went to e.r. and asked for a CT scan. Everything was normal. The Dr told me it's scar tissue and it can take up to a yr to fully recover from an initial attack.. I had 3 in a row so it makes sense I have residual pain. When I bend over a lot it gets sore also when I over eat, cant have a bowel movement or when I eat too much fiber it hurts really bad. Trial and error.. glad you had a CT scan and your mind can be at ease.

• Posted

I started having problems with DD about 7-8 years ago. I had one attack and got 4 days of IV antibiotics in hospital. Had CT scan that showed it. Took 2 more weeks of antibiotics at home. No more flare ups until 2 and a half years ago. Got 2 attacks within a month of each other. Long story short, kept getting them off and on. This past 5 months Ive been in and out of hospital because the surgeon told me I was risking wearing a permanent colostomy bag if I didnt have surgery to remove the bad portion of my colon. I decided to have the surgery 3 weeks ago. Not gonna lie. It was very painful for the first week. It gets a little better each day. Diet is tricky for a while. My advice is to reintroduce fiber slowly! I ate a salad a few days ago and my stomach gurgled for 24 hrs after. Most people have complained about diarrhea but I had the opposite problem. Its slowly returning to normal but it requires a lot of patience and positive thinking. Diverticulitis is nothing to play with. If you arent getting frequent bouts of it, try to control with diet. Drink kefir, eat yogurt, take probiotics. Ive been told by every GI doctor that eating popcorn and seeds do not cause any problems. I beg to differ. My last attack before surgery, came after I ate a handful if nuts. Hope this helps. If you are still having pain you prob still have a slow, simmering infection so be aware!
  • Posted

I had no idea that the pain can take ages to go. I have gallbladder pain too which makes mine worse. I have been eating normally since my first flare up caused by popcorn.i work as a cleaner and lifting vacuum cleaners all day makes it worse. 

When people say a liquid diet what exactly does his entail?

• Posted

If you are still having pain, I dont think the flare up has resolved. Some people can stay on clear liquids for 2-3 days and feel better. I wasnt one of thise people. I always had to take 2 weeks of antibiotics. If you have pain, you need a CT scan to see what is going on. The last thing you want to happen is a perforation. If that happens you will ned emergency surgery. Stay away from popcorn and seeds. There is no evidence that shows a link between eating these foids and diverticulitis, but I was eating nuts the day of my last attack. I finally had the surgery. Got tired of going to hospital and livng on antibiotics. Its scary! Take cate of yourself!
    • Posted

Hi

I suggest you read to post from Julia1040 which gives an excellent description of diet ideas.  For me, liquid was at first just clear soup, clear fruit juice (apple) and black, herb or fruit tea.  The I introduced things like meal replacement drinks, yogurt.  When I was ready to reintroduce fibre, I made lots of blended soups, vegetable puree, shakes.  Then I moved on to soft foods like steamed fish, scrambled eggs.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Felina and gigi59. My pain has stopped but my gallbladder is playing up, I have had two extremely stressful days where I have cried myself weak after having my cat put down. I feel , how shall I say, strained on the left side when I overdo my job. I think I will go to the doctor though for my annual check up. Thank you both for your help. I will stay in touch with this forum. I have been eating mashed veg with a bit of fish which will be my diet from now on. 
    • Posted

So sorry to hear about your much loved cat.  My nickname is Felinia (one current furry resident) or Catwoman to my neighbours, so I totally understand your distress.  It never gets easier.  

I understand what you mean by strained.  Are you taking anything like psyllium powder to help make your movements easier?  I do find it helps, or perhaps your doctor can recommend something.  Also my osteopath told me that an attack does put a strain on all your abdominal and pelvic muscles, so they too need time to recover.  I found warmth (a hot water bottle) helped me relax.  Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you Felicia. What a lovely nickname and so appropriate. Oddly enough I have no problem with bowel movements. I take my thyroxine each morning anod almost straightaway I go to the loo. And not to be too graphic but it is formed.. Only very rarely is it loose. I'm going to go to the docs to ask about stone removal rather than gallbladder removal as if I have it removed that is when the 'fun' will really start.

• Posted

Hi

You clearly have several different health issues and one can impact on the other.  I suffer from a hiatus hernia and pre diabetes which cuts certain food groups out of my diet too.  I find the softer and larger, the less I strain, if you see what I mean (which is why I take Fybogel).  Also I don't force it, but sit and wait for nature and gravity to act!!!  Hope you can get away without gall bladder surgery as that too restricts the diet.  A friend of mine had hers treated with ultra sound.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.