How long does recovery take?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm asking about full recovery, I'm two weeks after my gallbladder surgery and i was just wondering does anyone else suffer from fatigue? I get tired so quickly still and ache from the smallest chores and this can trigger my anxiety, also constantly getting dizzy when I stand up too quickly

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Had mine out March 2nd and still get fatigued daily. Also, still dizzy occasionally, and get tired very easily, even just walking across a parking lot. Trying to build up stamina day by day. I've heard that healing can take some people many months, even up to a year. Everyone is different, and we did have surgery, and an organ removed. Just rest when your body tells you to. 
  • Posted

I don't suffer from fatigue or dizziness, just a leftover ache/pain in the righthand part of my torso which keeps me from sleeping, been 17 days for me.
  • Posted

Yes I do as well. We don't view it as something major, but in reality we've experience trauma to our bodies and it will take time to heal. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Hi, Leah, you've had major surgery.  In the old days, you would have had a large incision and lots of stiches, with severe pain that would have left you in no doubt that you had had an organ removed.  Key hole surgery is much simpler, but it's deceptive.  It can take many weeks to recover your stamina.  In my case, I began to feel normal again in about a year.  Take good care of yourself, rest when you need to and eat healthfully.  Give yourself time to heal.  Good luck and let us know how you do! 
  • Posted

Hi leah, I get where you are coming from, I had my gallbladder removed 26th April and still suffering from fatigue, I was prepared for suffering from pain after the op but wasn't prepared for the fatigue, I have had to sleep at some point during the day most days since my op, and I get exhausted doing the littlest of activity. I am unfortunate that during this time I have also had a bug which I think has compounded the fatigue and the coughing has added to the pain, but now that the bug has almost gone I'm sure I will have more energy soon. We have been through surgery and had meds that we probably aren't used to such as morphine so I suppose our bodies have had some trauma and we are bound to feel fatigue, I hope you feel well soon
  • Posted

Remember you've had surgery which involved the removal of your gallbladder and it will take a little longer than two weeks before you really feel properly recovered.   I had my GB out early April 2015 and I can say I felt incredibly tired .... I think it is as a result of the operation and the drugs they give you whilst you're "out".   It took a good few weeks before I felt more recovered, then after about 8 weeks we went on a week's sunshine holiday and that helped considerably where energy levels and pain were concerned.   If you have the opportunity I would recommend you relax in the sunshine whenever possible.   Whatever you do, I would fully recommend being gentle on yourself - your body is trying to heal itself ..... sending you very best wishes.
    • Posted

So glad others experience this too I think cause everyone kept trying to tell me it's just keyhole and you'll just pop back up but of course these are people who have never had surgery, this is my third surgery in three years so my body was already run down before I went in! I suppose trying to run after two kids makes me tired too, I work in childcare as well which is very active so returning to work after two weeks was probably unrealistic considering the lifting and I'm always on my feet
    • Posted

Oh dear leah 2 weeks does sound quite soon to return to work, I've been off almost 4 weeks, I work in childcare also and I know how draining that can be when your not at your best. Hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.