How long does Terbinafine take to work

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi everybody, I've been taking Terbinafine now for three weeks (eight week course) for a skin infection but i am yet to see any improvement. Is this normal only i expected to see some signs by now. Just wondering if i should visit the docs again. No side effects for me fortunately after what i've been reading on the group. 

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is the Terbinafine topical (a cream) or oral (a pill)?

The pill should work within a week. It is very strong, usually used for nail infections. If you don't see any change after 3 weeks, something is wrong.

The topical cream at 1% is very weak and does not work well. I used it for a month with no change though the doc said I should see results in 1-2 weeks. It's basically as strong as an OTC. I suggest you see a doctor again and request a different cream if you had just the cream--Loprox worked well for me, two months applied twice daily.

Also make sure you follow strict hygiene since re-infection is a risk:

-keep feet dry and clean

-wash feet upon waking up, after exercing, and when coming home/removing shoes (sweat is bad for the infection)

-wash socks separate from other clothing at very high heat (I boil mine with vinegar and water)

-disinfect shoes after wearing (you can check online for ways--I use disinfectant wipes and Sterishoe because I still have severe nail fungus)

-disinfect shower where your feet touch after using

(Bleached mixed with water works best but if you are sensitive to bleach like me, at least use disinfectant wipes)

-wash blankets regularly, especially after you sweat a lot one night

-wear cotton/wool socks at the highest content you can find

-wear breathable, comfy shoes (well-fitting)

-don't wear the same shoes until waiting at least 8 hours, preferably two days (maybe you can have two pairs to switch)

-you can use foot powder in the shoes to help keep them dry

• Posted

It's the pill and i just cant see any difference. Sounds like i'd better take myself off to the doctors again rolleyes Thanks for the advice smile
  • Posted

Steven,

Any update?  I am taking 250 mg tablets 1 a day for ringworm on my face.  I just took my 8th pill and also don't see any change for the better.  

• Posted

Doctors have put me on a steroid cream now as the pill should have worked and after using the cream three times I can already see a difference. I'm going to finish the tablet course just in case as fortunately I haven't had any of the loss of taste side effects. At least not yet anyway.
  • Posted

Hello Steven 

Don't take the pills. 

I've taken Terbinafine for 4 weeks and then I lost my sense of taste.

I searched on this site and I noticed that many people have suffered the same problem.

It's awful and takes from 6 to 13 weeks to come back.

So AVOID Terbinafine...

If you have questions you can message me!! 

That's my advice!

Matt

• Posted

matt please help I just one fingernail infection, started in 2013 because hit this finger in a metal, looks like fungus came in... and it's everywhere in the environemnet...  but it was mild, then got worse in 2015, but not THAT bad, just like only one, nail doesn't fully grow...  all other nails healthy... started DAY 2 lamisil was prescribed for three months + lamisil cream before bedtime... FREAKING out ... because i saw people side effects...please HELP... please...  hope it will fix my nail and no side effects will appear... did you drink alcohol?? did you sleep well? thanks!!!! 

Marco

• Posted

at the gym... bad luck... and then been exercising since then so I guess it's easy to "recatch"

• Posted

I noticed it has faded slightly but not much.  Tonight will be dose 9.  I will keep posting if others are interested.  
    • Posted

Mine is ringworm on my face.  I got it from the gym. By the time I noticed it there was a ring on my right jawbone area.   Used Oxistat for a week with no improvement.  Then got put on Luzu cream and oral Terbinafine 1 pill a day for 28 days.  Tonight will actually be my 9th pill when I take it.  I have noticed a recent slight improvement.  But barely.  It had spread from my jaw to several patches on my forehead and cheeks.  
  • Posted

I have 11 doses left.  My ringworm has faded a lot.  It is almost gone but you can still see a faint outline of it on my jaw line.   I wonder how long that will take to go away?  I have a faint outline on my forehead too.  But it is a lot better looking.   
    • Posted

man change ur towel and under wears too.. otherwise u maye have re emission

• Posted

Hi Frank, so pleased to hear it worked for you! When did you start to notice it clear? Did it go gradually? I am on day 9 but no change and beginning to lose hope, thought I would have seen a slight difference by now at least :-(
  • Posted

Hi Steven. Could you please let me know if the terbinafine tablets worked in the end? I have taken my tablets for 9 days now and there has been no difference:-(. If it did work, when did you start seeing results? Thanks!!!
    • Posted

9 days? You gotto take them for a month. And you probably won't see any improvement til near the very end. I hope for your sake your taste isn't affected. Mine has gone and I've been told it could take months to come back. Deeply deeply depressing. The leaflet says this happens to 1 in 10,000 but that is clearly horsesh*t as the web is full of people's stories

• Posted

I am SO glad I found this discussion.  I've taken 4 pills so far, for ringworm that spread all over my chest, neck, stomach, and back when I was using just the cream.

I figured it would take a few days and start showing signs of improvement. But I see it takes a while to kick in. 

Hopefully the 6 week regimen will. E enough. 

• Posted

Hi Kirsten,

Have you seen any signs of improvement? I too have ringworm on my chest, neck, jaw and forehead and I am on about pill 20 (terbinafine 250mg 1 a day) and don't see much improvement. It seems the edges of the circles are getting redder and more defined, but drying out and getting flakey. I hope your condition has improved, any updates?

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Any updates? I sure am having a hard time finding anybody who says "I took terbinafine for 6 weeks and everything cleared up". Maybe when it does clear up, people just don't follow up with a post... I hope you have had success, let us know!

• Posted

I took it for 4 weeks with no results except loosing my taste sad  I've been off of it for 6 weeks & just beginning to get my taste back.  I can taste salty but not sweet sad

• Posted

If you dont mind, how has the treatment worked? Going on 4 weeks here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.