how long does the recovery process take? Had my surgery a week ago and still feel pain:(

Posted , 3 users are following.

I discovered I had a pilonidal cyst and after failed drainage treatments, I recieved surgery. After the surgery, the wound was left open and I am currenly attached to a woundvac to close up the wound area. I feel extremely uncomfortable as there is a tube taped above my cocyx and I still feel pain in that area. Everytime I take the bandages and foam off the wound to shower, I feel immense pain as well. How long does this go on for? My doctor keeps telling me he will check on me week by week and every cyst takes a different amount of time but I am curious what the general healing rate is? Also, how people function in their day to day lives if the recovery rate takes quite a few weeks. I have been living on my bed but soon I need to get back to school, work and real life and am worried about doing so.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sara, I too had surgery on 24 Dec 2016. Open wound but without any discharge tube. As per my discussions with Doctor... It will take around a month to resume 60-70% of daily routine. Although he said no driving... Exercises.. Running.. Excess sitting (it's not even possible.. Haha).. Lift heavy objects. As the wound heals we can resume most of activities but doctor advised to be careful for at least 3 months... Otherwise the healed skin might tear. Depending upon your diet and size of incision (part they took off) one can estimate total heal time. For ex in my case I am vegetarian and my wound size is 6*6 and 3-4cm deep. So it will take altleast 3 months for complete healing. I can understand your situation... Hope we heal faster. And about you taking off those tapes.. Which are painful too.. Now I hv developed few boils types around wound.. And my doc says it's becoz of skin irritation due to tape. You have this situation?

• Posted

Having the vac thing on you might heal quite quick.. I got layed open after my stitches did not work and was packed daily. 12cm down,4wide,4deep. It took over a year for me to fully heal,around 14 month..the last bit would not nip together even though it was healing from inside out. I was layed on stomach constantly for about 5 month..to 7 month.. literally didn't sit on bum that long.. people don't realise how much of a impact these have on your life. I hope u heal asap and get back to normal life soon.. stay strong and good luck !!

• Posted

I agree. Laying on stomach is painful after sometime. One best way which I am currently doing is using a semi circle air tube to sit (thanks to Doc idea). And sleeping on sides and a huge pillow beneath your back (from top of shoulder till where the spine ends) gives relief and makes life easier
    • Posted

Yeah sleeping on side was what I found myself self doing a lot soon as I could because was sick of laying on stomach through out the day..

When you healed and u can lay on your back flat as normal and don't have to worry.. it's a good feeling.. u feel normality has been taken away from you for so long. Even going to the toilet for me just so ooo much of a nightmare and things like that..I don't think I drove my car either for 10/15month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.