How long for Sertraline to work?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have switched from being on 40mg of cital. 3 weeks ago I switched to Sertraline and have not really noticed any improvement. Still depressed, no appetite, anxiety and panic attacks. Seems like the medication is not working. Also not sleeping great so started taking Trazodone on 3rd day at 150 mg. do not like the feeling. I am able to get some sleep but takes awhile to get to sleep. No motivation. Any feedback would be appreciated

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hang in there it took about 6 weeks for it to kick in for me. I went to my dr after 3 weeks and they increased the dose from 50 to 100 mg. I now feel happy, motivated, no anxiety and no side effects.
    • Posted

I forgot to mention the dosage. I started at 25 then the following week I went up to 50 almost a week I have been on 100mg. Still doesn't feel like it is working. Maybe I need to go up to 150? I see NP on Monday I guess I need to be more patient with the process. Just feel discouraged.
    • Posted

Hi David

one has to be very patient with these meds.  I think your increasing to quickly.  I started on 25 mgs 4 weeke, 50 6weeks, 100 12 weeks, now on 125 and it has to be about 4 weeks.  The side effects increasing from 100 to 125 were very minimal.  You have to sit with a dosage for at least six weeks to see how your body and mind reacts.  Patience is the key.

lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I know I am moving fast but I would think I would feel some positive effect. It was planned to do it this way. Hoping it will work quicker may even go up to 150 next week. It's ok since I am going from cital to Sertraline. I have been on the cital 40 mg for about 9 years. Trying to be patient.

• Posted

David.  I was also on cit.  went from it to sertraline straight away.  Had horrible side effects.  The one that is still lingering is my appetite is not great. Taste buds seem to have deminshed.  Nothing tastes great.  I am not sure the meds will work any faster for you by upping sp quickly but your dr will advise you.

lynda

• Posted

My appetite has not been good either but I am trying to eat anything. I will be careful.

Now that you feel it is working what do you think about? Do you take anything else and any problems with sleep?

• Posted

Yes.  I had insomnia and still have it occasionally.  I still have blips and am considering upping again.  It does work but for me very slowly.  I found cit worked very well for me and then it didn't.  If i do switch I will go back to citalopram.  Why did you stop?

lynda

• Posted

I stopped for the same reason it just seemed to stop working. Part of my hard time is I am alone and don't have any family for support. I do the therapy and group. I guess it is just taking awhile.

It is so nice to talk with you that helps also. Thank you!

• Posted

It does work David.  Just try to take it day to day.  At first it is very subtle improvements and then you notice you are gradually feeling better. Any time you want to talk feel free to post me.

take care.

lynda

• Posted

I don't think you're going too fast. If you aren't having bad side effects, you should be okay. I would stop at 100mgs and wait it out though.
  • Posted

Dont worry David it will work it just takes time. Im sorry youre on your own, i do have family close by but when i go home on my own its definately the worse time for me. Be strong and keep postive and keep as busy as you can. Good luck and feel free to message me at any time.
    • Posted

Im having a blip today, nausea and legs like jelly, its horrible and ive had a few really good days so im fed up.
    • Posted

I'm also having a blip, been nauseous and funny head since last Wednesday, after having 4 good weeks, just had my first cbt, and that was very good and I do feel alittle better after talking to someone
    • Posted

Hi Philip its such a set back isnt it but i think we know it will get better and CBT is helping me to realise just how many are going through the same thing. I hope you will get over the Blip soon and that we all start feeling a whole lot better !
    • Posted

It does set you back, but we have to try and stay positive and get through this, it's just so hard especially when you feel sick and like you've gone backwards
    • Posted

Philip

sorry to hear about your blip.  Do you think you need to up your dose?

lynda

• Posted

Feeling ok at the moment, just a blip I think. How are are you don?
    • Posted

Haven't been to Drs yet, I'm gonna sit it out on 100mg as don't really want to go up any more unless I really have too
    • Posted

Feel better than when I was on 50mg I've been on 25mg for 4 weeks now going down to 12 1/2on Saturday for 4 weeks then every other day for a bit then off I just think sertraline just try's to cover things up (but it didn't for me ) and covering things up is not what I want I want to deal with the problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.