How long is the actual healing process after a bartholin gland extraction

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone I'm new to the group, yet I've had a bartholin gland extraction three days before Christmas... Mind you it had been marsupialized 3 and a half years ago... I'm right now in as much pain as I was directly after surgery, but I was wondering exactly how long is the actual healing process. (since that's a moist area which will possibly make healing a bit longer I reckon)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

About 8 weeks for initial surgical pain to resolve for me (bilateral gland excision in February 2016). I rode my bike at 5 months (just once to say I could) and ran a half marathon this Fall. It will get better! Ice...Ice....Ice! I also did hot sitz baths over toilet and sat on a donut whenever possible. Good luck! You are on the downhill side of this!!

Llori

• Posted

Hi there.

I know how you feel, I had my cyst and complete gland removed on 13th September and I've had a hell of a time with my recovery. Some people sail through but I didn't.

I couldn't walk properly for days, could sleep due to the pain, all I was told when I signed the consent form was that I'd experience pain but never imagined all that happened next.

I have infection after infection, a large hematoma which developed after surgery which they tried to extract but made it 10xs worse and I bled like a river from just 2 needle pricks, my left bottom cheek was bruised black and blue, so not only was I trying to recovery from the surgery but has this to contend with too. I wasn't able to drive for 2 weeks and when I did I had to use a swimming ring as couldn't sit down.

I then started to experience severe burning down there, the doctors thought I had another infection but after a check up with the consultant she said that it was my nerves that were causing the pain and that some had been damaged and will take time to repair.

We are now 28th Dec and I'm still struggling the pain is ridiculous and I've been taking gabapentin which is a pain receptor blocker since beginning of Nov but doesn't seem to be helping so back to the doctors tomorrow.

I hope that you do recover better than me but if the pain is to much then please get advise.

• Posted

Hi , i had my op 31st october. I was in agony for the first 2 weeks then develped an infection , i found zapping the area in the shower with warm water really helped and wear loose clothing such as lycra leggings

Also when i was at home i would leave my underwear off to allow the area to breath i put a towel on the sofa to catch any discharge , maybe go to your doctors to check you havent got an infection ,

I hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

I felt normal again after 2 weeks but still had minor pain until about 6 weeks post op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.