How long on Warfarin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed with DVT 18 days ago.

Had 3 injections Clexane.

On Warfarin since 11/08/15

INR target 2.5

INR readings 2.0, 2.6, 3.4, 3.8, 3.2, 2.5

Presently INR at DVT clinic, will transfer to GP practice nurse next week.

Booked in for THR next month, but cancelled due DVT and Warfarin treatment.

Any one know how long you should expect to be on Warfarin before allowed for an op.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I had a DVT in February. Same initial treatment as you at hospital and now seen at GP Surgery. My INR remains erratic and currently on 4mg x 6 days and 5mg x 1 day Warfarin.

I need to have a TKR and my surgeon wants to wait till March/April 2016, if my knee will last that long! If he has to operate earlier he said an "umbrella" will be inserted above my knee to stop any clots from travelling.

Because I can't have anything with Ibuprofen I'm finding pain relief quite difficult.

I have to rest my knee but keep walking due to DVT; rock and hard place!!!!

I'll also be interested in other views about surgery.

Do you feel that after first diagnosis you're "left in the wilderness"?

There is a lot of interesting discussion regarding DVT's on here.

• Posted

Hi Janish49

Thanks for reply.

Ref "left in the wilderness".

I am presently being advised by my GP, the Surgeons appointments secretary, and DVT clinic. All give different views, some say I can be taken off Warfarin for the THR op, others say I could be on Warfarin for three months - depending on when the DVT Consultant releases me.

For the DVT I am presently on 2 or 3mg Warfarin per day to stabilise at INR 2.5. For Hip pain I am on Tramadol 50mg (up to 8 max per day if required).

My dodgy hip is on my right leg. and my DVT is behind my left knee. I wear a compression stocking on my left leg.

Apparently the danger of having surgery too soon after DVT diagnosis, is that if another clot appears you may be on Warfain for the rest of your life.

• Posted

Hiya Supercargo

Saw your question. Usually surgeons like you to be stable on Warfarin for a least 3 months before they will operate.

I see you are on Tramadol - don't know if they've told you But... Some painkillers can increase the potency of Warfarin This includes Co-Codamol & Tramadol.

Have the DVT nurses told you how long you will be on Warfarin for?

Keep wearing the compression stocking & try to be mobile as much as you can. This will help prevent PTS (Post-Thrombotic Syndrome)

• Posted

Thanks llyr8809

I think I'll be on Warfarin for three months pre op.

All parties know I am on Tramadol, but have not made any particular comment.

Thanks for the advice ref stockings and mobility.

• Posted

Saw Thrombosis Consultant today - he says that since I have completed six months on Warfarin I can stop.

Last scheduled Inr check next Monday.

​As consultant thinks the Dvt may be due being on Hormone Therapy (two years Zoladex completed September), to monitor Psa for Oncologist meeting due April - hopefully Psa will remain low so I don't have to start Zoladex again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.