How long (realistically) will the whole process take and how long off work.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a achilies repair op just over 2 weeks ago and at this time I'm (pain free) in plaster,

Due to a slip while taking my stitches out the nurse ended up cutting me (I had no feeling so wasnt aware) so had to have a slight repair done. I now have to go back on the 1st March for my plaster changed again for 2 more weeks (6 in total) prior to moving to a air boot.

How many stages is there to the boot with the wedges etc?

Do you FWB right from the start using crutches?

Any idea how long I will be off work- I guess 12 weeks?

At work I have to climb 2flight of stairs several times a day so I need to be fully able/healed.

I work for a excellent firm and the sick pay etc is really good so I do not need to worry on that front.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise

?I'm now 4 months post repair.  I had the cast on for 2 weeks and then into a boot for 4 weeks, starting with 4 wedges and reducing one wedge each week.  I was told I could FWB from day 1 in the boot, but the first 2-3 days, it was simply too painful as there had been no weight on the leg for the previous 5 weeks (I had to wait 3 weeks for an op post injury). After a few days it was a lot better and I was able to get around using a knee scooter and crutches.  The crutches were slow and cumbersome, hence getting the scooter.

?Four months after the repair I am finally walking with an almost 'normal' gait.  The leg is finally strengthing and loosening up but I still don't do any impact work.  I could get up and down stairs carefully and slowly once the boot came off but I wouldn't want to do it several times a day until you've lost the crutches.  I still can't bend the leg sufficiently to take the weight on a normal step down - I do an 'old lady' half step.

?The worst thing you could do is try to take it too quickly and end up with a re-rupture.  My recovery is slow and frustrating and I do my exercises every day.  I'm finally seeing some real progress and I'm now strengthening the calf on a trampette (still no running or jumping). 

You sound English so I assume you will be offered NHS physio.  They don't treat you, they just assess you and give you exercises.  You must do them.  I also decided to see a private physio who massaged and stretched my leg twice a week the first few weeks.  And gave me more exercises.  It was expensive but really helped. 

Stay positive and patient.  It's a long road but you will get there!

Cibby x

• Posted

Hi Cibby. Thank you very much for you reply. Yes I'm under the NHS but what a good idea paying for extra PT/massage.

I WILL do as I'm told and be a good girl as I really want this to work.

It has been a very very long road to get this far.

I tore my achilies on the 1st March 16 and it snapped completly in May and it took till 31st Jan 17 to get the op.

I was more or less imobile before my op due to pain (left leg has 2 tears) etc I have gained over 2st.

I also have a knee scooter and cannot praise it enough. Due to my size and having torn tendons on my other leg I cannot use the none operated leg really SO me and my scooter are inseperable.  Happy Healing. 

• Posted

My timeline since my surgery on Dec 30 of 2016...

2 weeks in fiberglass cast

then stiches were removed and I was put in a boot (non weight bearing for two weeks)

after those two weeks I started using the crutches and put weight on boot until I could walk in the boot without crutches.  I was this way for another 10 days and then started wearing a shoe one hour a day til I worked up to shoes only

PT started 3 weeks after surgery  3 times a week

I'm 48 days post op walking with a small limp for now and still going to PT.

Foot still swells if I'm on my feet for a while and I three toes are a bit numb.  All normal.

That's where I am at this point.  Feeling pretty good.cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Denise . Sorry to hear about your accident.I have a rupture of the Achilles' tendon,been in a cast for 6 weeks.I went to hospital this morning where my cast was removed.The nurses said I was getting my foot positioned at a different angle and put in another cast for 3 weeks.I rejected this straight away,I asked to see my consultant and told him I had done my research and would like to be put in a boot with weight bearing.He said that's what he intended.I told him the nurses were going to put me in a cast again,in which they claimed they never said that.My wife and I just looked at each other in disbelief at their denial.Anyway I was put in a boot for 6 weeks with 2 wedges,I've to take one of the wedges out after 3 weeks and the the other a couple of days before I go back.I will weight bear gradually and carefully.Its a bit delicate and sensitive.I reckon a couple of weeks then rehab and working with normal shoes.I reckon all in about 14 weeks for me hopefully. I'm 54 a joiner and don't get paid when off. B.t.w. In non surgery. Hope this helps .Take care.

• Posted

Hello Denise,

Sorry to hear about the injury. I had achilles surgery on August 2 last year after rupturing on July 29th.

I had the plaster/splint removed one week after the surgery and was in a boot. I was cleared to go back to work the day I got the boot. I borrowed a scooter and some awesome crutches (they are called mobilegs and are way more compfortable than conventional crutches. I was non-weight bearing for about 5 weeks, then started 25%, 50%, and 75% for the next three weeks in boot. Each of those weeks the protocol called for removing one of the three wedges. One week after the last wedge was out I was back in shoes. That was a challenge because my foot shape and size changed a bit (swelling at the heel as well as some residual tenderness and numbness). So I had to get a couple pair of other shoes that were comfortable and functional.

Stairs are tough. Fortunately there is an elevator at work and I was able to use crutches for short walkis and scooter for longer distances. Physical therapist told me to ditch the scooter to make sure my injured leg was getting exercised. I used it sparingly at home.

Started physical therapy as soon as the hard splint was off.

I am now 6 and a half months after surgery. I go to PT once a week and mostly focus on regaining the calf and foot strength--almost there. I am able to do most things I did before injury still not cleared to run (which is how I injured it) but I am skiing, walking distance, up and down steps. A little discomfort still in the heel, and the strength deficit has some adverse effect on my gait.

If you research pro athletes (which I am not!) and achilles rupture, you will find that it takes them 8-12 months to get back to world-class athletic performance. I suspect it will take us mortals a good 8-12 months to approximate pre-injury status--depending on the injury, treatment plan, and overall health status.

In any event, best wishes for a complete and smooth recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.