How long should Klonopin last for anxiety/panic?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I take 1.5  of a .5mg tablet in at 7:45 am and by 1pm I need another dose. The odd thing is the second dose seems to wear off by 4:30. So the first dose lasts me 5 hours but the second 3.5. My dr told be I could take 1mg twice a day. Do you think I should take 1mg in the afternoon so the effects last longer? Do you think taking it with lunch has anything to do with it? Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not a good choice of medication. Its very addicting and difficult to wean off of. I know i did it over twenty two years ago. It should be the absolute last resort of medicine to use, unless you have seizures or tremor involved. 

To answer you question there should be no need to use it more then twice a day. Its addictive and requires higher doses as times goes by. Its half life is 30-40 hours so if you use it in the morning that should be enough. If your anxiety is that uncontrolled you should be in a self calming course and therapy. It is a slow, long weaning process to get off this benzo. And never drink alcohol on it or grapefruit juice. It also interacts with many meds and over the counter meds so always check.

If you just started using it id call the gp and ask for something else. Then just use it as needed. Find another doctor who is well aware of pharmacology and addictions. 

I say that from my heart.

• Posted

The reason I'm using it is bc I've tried every ssri and snri and nothing helps with my anxiety. I honestly think all of these drugs are making my condition worse. Ive decided to go medication free for a while but I'm coming off Prozac which made my anxiety so bad I couldn't leave my house. So I'm using klonopin to get me to the point where the Prozac has lost its effect. This is not a long term solution

• Posted

Makes sense. Use the klonopin so carefully okay. The least amount possible. Good luck with everything. Im on nothing but an emergency xanax. I cant use any if it. Without any option somehow you do find a way to manage it anyway. Its like theres no choice. I will say belly breathing and mindful stuff is fantastic. You are not alone its only half the people these meds work on. Maybe you would place in the half that cbt works on. That would great and ni meds needed. I only write this from my heart because its really not a good experience coming off a be zo. Also if its helpful alternative doctors use natural stuff that it said to work well. Maybe you can find an alternative doctor/holistic in your area. Theres more then just traditional medical stuff. The rest of the world isnt even privy to a lot of it.
    • Posted

Thank you! I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and hopefully each day will get a little easier. I appreciate your response.

• Posted

I was just prescribed klonipion 2 months ago,I take half a .5 just like you only once a day,supposed to take it twice but am too nervous too,part of wonderful anxiety lol.the main reason I take it is for lightheaded/dizziness which is the onesytom that is totally interfering with my life,I'm on Zoloft and have been for years but a few months ago it hit me hard to the point I needed something so I wouldn't lose my job,if I take mine mid morning I do pretty good till nighttime,but if I start feeling bad again at least I'm home at this point so I never took a second dose the same day yet

• Posted

That's interesting I m taking 1.5 of a .5 tablet. The .5 did nothing for me. My dr told me I could take 1 mg 2xs per day. My anxiety it very severe so I think I need more

• Posted

I think why not give it a try,anxiety is horrible and it might help you get over this hump your going through,it's worth a shot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.