How long to wait for 2nd thr

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, I am 6 weeks today after my 1st thr, and  after week 3 everything was onwards and upwards with my new hip, the hip pain post op was minimal compared to what it was previously, my only problem now is my other hip its stopping me progressing as well as I would be, it was ok for the first few weeks, I suppose because of the painkillers, but now it has stopped me going upstairs as I can't  weight bear on it, it is so frustrating as the pain in my operated leg is minimal, but the other one is so painful. I have been to my GP as the physio told me you have to go through the referral process again for the other hip,, I have a appointment mid sept to see the same consultant who done this hip, but I was wondering how soon  do they do the 2 nd hip is there a certain wait time or is it the consultants decision, I can't wait to walk normal and enjoy life again

has anyone else had this, I am just curiouse, I know I most probably sound impatient but I have had this for 5 years and just gradually got worse until I was housebound for 6 months... I'm sure other people have had it as bad if not a lot worse, but it will be so lovely being pain free.....

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Carol, 

Welcome to this wonderful forum ,.. you found the best place for support and love, great advice and so much more ...

You are definitely not alone in this ... I had RTHR on March 16 2015 - new hip did really good and then, wham, left hip was getting painful .. Saw my surgeon May 13, 2015 and xray showed rapid decline of left hip joint -

It has gotten worse and sure hampers my progress ...

My surgeon send a letter to my GP about the visit and new diagnosis - Apparently no referral is needed ... But I live in Holland

I think it depends on the surgeon and how you are doing physically when 2nd THR can be done ...

We are all impatient ... no worries though .. 

You are on your way to a better, painfree life .. Please come back and share your concerns, questions, rants etc ....

My advice is to call your consutlant's office and find out if you need a referral -

take care, take it easy and be gentle with your self -

warm hug

• Posted

Good morning Carol, welcome to the world of hips and all that cones with it 😊

From the start, usually they will have a 3 month gap between operations regardless. The operated side needs to be able to bear the weight after all. This is a rule of thimb though, some on here have had both hips done in one go(!), though that is fairly rare.

From what I have read earlier, in the UK you need a new referral, which didn't so much apply for me as I'm, like Renee, in Holland.

In my case the surgeon looked at my MRI and decided there and then that both needed doing, only question was thenorder they'd do them in. In mu case, right was done in May, and left will be done the end of August.

Progress is inhibited by a bad hip. Foe the first four weeks, I was running up the mountain like I'd never get tired again. Then, the left side began to work against me. And running became walking, to by now being a stroll.

I'm now at the point again where I need to care to the way I start walking when getting up. Where once my right hip would buckle under me when I'd startvwalking, now the left side does that. It's infuriating when you try to get up and walk only to then nearly faceplant onto the table. But there is light at the end of the tunnel in my case. So I cling to that, breathe deeply and then waddle away.

I'm looking forward to being pain free again, like you. In time though. All in good time. Patience is a virtue and all those sayings. We'll all get there 😉

• Posted

Hi Arjen -

Are you back from Bali ? 

How was it and how was the return flight?   You lucky guy,!!!!

hugs

renee

• Posted

Hello Carol and welcome to the forum

I am waiting for my second hip replacement. I asked my surgeon this question and he said if things are bad enough they can get you in 3 months after the first one is done if they really have to.I didn't have to go through the referal prosses because when I went to see my surgeon the first time both hips were affected at the same time. So he has taken on both hips and that means I don't have to wait.

I had my left hip done on the 14th April. this year. My surgeon is getting me back in for the right hip in September. So it can be a quick prosess if it really is affecting your life. My right hip has collapsed and is now so painful it is getting duifficvult to take medication to contropl it so I can walk. So if you need a referal go to your GP ASAP and get refered as soon as you can so you are not waiting for so long and sufferiung while you are on the list. Tell your GP you would like the same surgeon if you are happy and trust him too. I hate hospitals. I have had enough of them having had so much done to me in the last 3 years. But I really can't wait to be rid of this pain.

• Posted

Thank you all for your lovely kind words, it's so nice to speak to someone who knows what ur going through. Hopefully when I see the surgeon in mid September he will see how it is and won't be too long for the left hip.. I wish you all well. And will defiantly be back on here and share info... What a lovely friendly group this is thank you xx
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear about yr pain , I was in a similar situation , I had a double hip replacement on 21/5/15 , have already had my right knee replaced last year. My right knee needs replacing and like u has held me back progressing with my hips. My surgeon but me on the list while I was in hospital so didn't have to go through the referral bit again, having my opp on 21st August.

i can't wait to get my life back ,I'm can't walk far or go upstairs, hope you get it all sorted.

take care

Kaye x

• Posted

hi carol,

i saw my surgeon on 25th june, he said that he was going to review my other hip in september, last week i returned to work after seeing the dr, he said he had received a letter ffrom my surgeon dated 7th july and in it he said he was planning to do the other hip in 2 months, because i was not sure if this was just a review to put me on the waiting list, so i rang his secretary and she confirmed that i was on the waiting list, so my own dr did not have to refer me, i retire on saturday 1st august so told the surgeon secretary she can put me on the the cancellation list so if some one cancels i can take their place, as for the retiring keep being asked am i going to be bored the answer is no, i have plenty to do at home, knitting, x stitching gardening and if i really do get bored i can volunteer for a charity shop

• Posted

I hoper both or your operations go really ..I'm sure they will and in no time back to normal, as I am sure i will be once i have had my other hip done... I cant wait..biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.