How long to wait for a colonoscopy?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went to my GP after seeing blood on my stools. She got me an appointment to see a Dr at the local hospital in just over two weeks (the national guidelines). I saw a 3rd year medical student at the hospital who relayed my condition to the doctor and he said that I needed a colonoscopy and that an appointment would be sent to me. That was over two weeks ago. How long does one usually wait and should I be chasing this up with my GP or someone else?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynne

I didn't have blood in my stools but I had to wait for at least two months for notification - hopefully they will be more speedy for you with those symptoms. I would chase up your GP yes. But try not to worry - hopefully everything will be fine.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. At least I don't have any other symptoms.
  • Posted

It all depends on the hospital and which part of the country you are in. In Sussex I got mine in less than a month but somehow our GP's have quite a bit of choice and can refer patients to facilities outwith the NHS. I was seen at a clinic within two weeks and had the colonoscopy at a private hospital two weeks later. 
    • Posted

Thanks Derek. I live in central London. I did understand it would be less than two weeks to see the consultant (saw a med student and a dr but that was ok) and then two weeks for the colonoscopy, hence my question.
  • Posted

Hi lynne,

My advice would be to ring your doctor and chivvy things, don't be afraid to put yourself first where your health is concerned.

My own experience was seeing my GP, and within 10 days I saw a registrar at the hospital for an examination. Within 2 weeks I was given a virtual colonoscopy that raised questions, and 2 weeks after that I had a colonocopy.  Now waiting for results.

I have had to ring the hospital to speak to the consultant's secretary since after the virtual colonoscopy neither myself or my GP was informed why further tests were required.  It's your body and you have a right to treatment and information.

Speak to your GP if you don't have your consultant's name.

best wishes x

• Posted

You had the virtual colonoscopy as an NHS patient?

When I told my GP that I would have that done privately he said that he would speed up the colonoscopy to save me money.  Bad move, the colonoscopy probe stimulated my vagus nerve and I went into atrial fibrillation and had to have a cardioversion. Ten months later another intrusive examination again stimulated my vagus nerve and I'm back in AF.

• Posted

Hi Jessie. Thanks for your advice and sharing your own experience. I suppose because I saw a trainee GP at my surgery followed by a med student and dr instead of the consultant who I was told I would see at the hospital I'm just wanting to keep on top of things. I will pop back to the GP surgery tomorrow to ask about following things up.

• Posted

Hi derek76

Yes, I've had everything as an NHS patient.  I only had a tummy problem that I still think is due to a previous infection but my GP insisted I had a referral.

The virtual colonoscopy showed a couple of areas that needed more investigation that they said could be sorted with a colonoscopy.  It couldn't, they weren't able to remove the growths then and there, so I'm waiting for biopsy results.

All done on the NHS, and I live in the West Country (miles and miles from hospitals!) but I think it is a Govt. guideline now to get these investigations done within 2 weeks?

I am so, so sorry to hear of your problems.  Things seem to have gone badly for you.  I do hope your problems improve.  best wishes.

• Posted

Hi lynne80805

I'm very glad to be of any help lynne.   I will say I have not yet actually seen the consultant.  Some registrar at the first visit, then a doctor at the colorectal department who did the colonoscopy.  I only got the consultant's name by ringing the hospital (no stopping me when I want information!).  I'm quite a quiet, shy person usually but as I said, your body, your health - it is very important - no need to be retiring on these matters.  very best wishes.  J  x

• Posted

The advice I got from a GP some years ago was 'Patient Power, phone them they don't like that" Since then it has usually worked for me.  

I had an angiogram and was told that I would be referred to another hospital to have my aortic valve replaced. I asked how long it would take and was told that I would have the surgery within two months. After five weeks I phoned the other hospital and was told that they had not had any referrals from that hospital for three months. I was then told that the first doctor was 'a bit behind with his paperwork' I then found that he had been on a months holiday.

• Posted

Absolutely derek76.   We have to take matters into our own hands sometimes.

I was shown a letter in my files alledgedly sent 6 weeks previously to me and my GP - but neither of us had received it.   Not possible both had been lost in  the post surely!

As you say, Paitent Power  !!!

• Posted

We have had instances where GP's letters have not reached the hospital and also where their letters did not reach him.

Once he had not had results of a scan that I had. The consultants secretary said that 'I had dropped off the Radar'  

You probably know that many of the letters consultants dictate are sent electronically to India to be typed and then returned here to be printed and sent. I live in Sussex but some letters I have had have been postmarked Bristol.

The doctor who said patient power used to be scathing about some of the hospitals he had to send patients to.   

• Posted

I got appt for colonoscopy within 6 wks after seeing my GP, referred on a non urgent basis.

I live in Scotland so our waiting times may be different from other parts

of UK.

• Posted

Hello Puppyluv

6 weeks seems quite a while to be worrying! I hope things turned out fine for you. Thanks for responding.

• Posted

Things have improved up there. When I was living there (around 2000) I was quoted 26 weeks for my initial appointment with the consultant. My GP got it down to 21 weeks and I then phoned the consultants secretary and told her that I was in pain and passing blood. She got me an appointment with a registrar for the following week. He welcomed me with, So you think you have cancer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.