How long will the cellulitis symptoms last on my leg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have cellulitis I got it about a week ago started with flu like symptoms and on the second day I discovered that my lower leg was red from my knee cap to my ankle. My doctor prescribe me Augmentin for the bacterial infection. So I know I've had the redness and swelling 4 at least 4 days. It does not seem to be getting worse nor is it getting better. Everything I've been reading on medical websites about cellulitis is that it should start to go away within 3 to 4 days after antibiotic treatment. I am getting worried that I have not seen any change. How long will it take for my swollen redleg to heal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's Friday so if you're in the states, good luck.  I felt relief within a day or two.  I was also prescribed prednisone for the swelling.  I have been on this site for a few months since my celulitus (foot) has come and gone.  It's a tough one to get rid of.  I was on antibiotics for 60 some days, but the wrong ones initially since I was misdiagnosed.  I'd call the doctor back.  I'd say by now, you should see SOME results.  

• Posted

I found some antibiotics aren't enough or are the wrong type and there's definitely better ones suited to skin/tissue infections.. I think it's fluxocillin I had which gave me best benefit. You don't want it to get worse otherwise you might need IV like me. If the flu symptoms are going that's a good sign.

• Posted

I have had both lower and upper leg. Mine is slightly strange as although recurrent still no reason why keeps happening. Had immunology checks. I'm 36 female U.K. (And otherwise healthy) I am just on a treatment on long term low dose antibiotics now which successfully keeps it at bay.

• Posted

hi chris   i have had cellulitus a few times ending up in a/e then on ward 10/14 days you must act quickly dont want to scare but any doubt  docs or a/e DO NOT LEAVE IT   it can make you very ill   please get it checked out  NO WAITING YOU MUST BE ANCIOUS ASKING 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.