How many acute pancreatitis attack will lead to chronic pancreatitis?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've two acute pancreatitis attacks in last one year. Its caused because of heavy alcohol use. I wanted to know that how many acute pancreatitis attack will lead to chronic pancreatitis?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The only answer unfortunately is to stop drinking. Alcohol is never good for pancreatitis. It will always lead to a flare up. .
  • Posted

Still anybody can tell me. after how many acute attackts it went to chronic. Anyway i stopped driniking completely from my first attack.
  • Posted

I think it's different for everyone. I never had an acute attack. I went straight to chronic pancreatitis. I'd definitely stop all alcohol if I were you. This disease is bad.
    • Posted

I went straight to chronic too.  I have never actually heard of anybody going from acute to chronic, though they say that's what happens.
    • Posted

I too was diagnosed right away with chronic. It's nasty to live with. It doesn't matter what I eat.
    • Posted

Yeah it is nasty.  I've had it for just over a year and meals will never be the same.
  • Posted

i had one massive acute attack that killed off 50% of my pancreas. My attack was due to alcohol,,although i had gallstones aswell. I have chronic pancreatitis as i only have 50% of my panky functioning. I stopped drinking immediatly as i came so close to death the first time,,id never risk that again. Ive had 7 acute attacks since my first one last febuary,,hospitalised for 2-3 weeks everytime. I now Have 4 large pseudocysts due to the repeated attacks. I have daily pain thats managed with morphine and feel like im just waiting for the next attack. If you are still drinking,,you really must consider stopping. Its the number one reson for CP. If youve stopped drinking,and you dont have any lasting scarring or necrosis to your pancreas you may be one of the lucky ones that dont end up suffering with severe debilitating daily pain. All the best hun xxx
  • Posted

Still im looking for some more responsed from people who got multiple acute attacks before it goes to chronic. Thank you all for your responses
  • Posted

it is safe to say that you have it already and are experiencing acute attacks on top of it... i'm actually in pain now as i write this,i've had pancreatitis for 6 years now,been in hospital countless times so far and as recently as last saturday,all stems from alcohol abuse and partying back in the day,i'm on palexia 100 now which i don't feel much good at all,they did have me on a butran's pain patch but i found the side effects really harsh so i took it off.This condition is really harsh.i woke up this morning pain free,had beakfast,went out to garden to finish a project that i'd started recently... and wallop,acute attack straight out of nowhere! really frustrated now at this stage....
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Acute Pancreatitis just a few months ago and experienced pain almost daily since. I asked the doctor the same question only last week as I was concerned that the acute pancreatitis had turned to chronic pancreatitis. His explanation was that the diagnosis is made from an analysis of the scan report and acute is when there is damage which can be ascribed to a sudden attack, a once off attack and chronic is when the damage is seen as the result of many attacks. So, I'm not sure if the daily pain I have been experiencing since then amounts to an accumulation of damage or not. But, I'm new to this condition and clearly not an expert. Hope this helps! 
  • Posted

Hi-

I was having a look at this discussion and I felt I had to put a few ideas that might help most of you.

I am a pancreatitis patient and let me tell you this is not a smooth journey ahead. I cannot say if u are chronic or not nor can you recover or not. I can suggest a few techniques to stay pain free as much as possible.

1) stay away from alcohol totally. This is fatal and hope you don't want to land in ICU. I have been and my life was hell

2) stay away from oil, any oil is bad. Stay as much away from food cooked in oil

3) start having grape seed extract capsules daily

4) start wheat grass juice daily. It has 150 nutrition for your body

5) start eating raw turmeric daily

6) while having any large meal have pancreatic enzymes 25000. It can be Creon, pan lipase, or digimax.

7)go vegan. No dairy nor any non veg stuff.

8)have all types of fruits, juice, salads, vegetables

9)while in pain go for juice diet for 3-4 days.

10)check what u are eating, very low fat content food is important, zero oil, no dairy, no milk, no non veg, no tea, coffee, no junk food.

Stay pain free. Hope this helps.

I came out from near death and started having a decent family and office life. And now I can play outdoor games with my daughtersmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.