How many days in hospital...?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hello Everyone:

Looking for some feedback on length of hospital stays post op.  My initial enquiry when I contacted my hospital of choice was "three nights."  Since then, and having read the various postings on the site, it appears that some patients are being kept in for several more days than that.

Does this depend upon age and general state of health?  I would think that this would certainly come into the equasion.  In my own case, I live alone, and have no outside help.  However, I am in general good health, other than the bad hip.  I am a very youthful 74 years of age, and have been taken for mid 50s!  Keep very active, and used to jog, but I know that post op, that is not recommended - high impact, is out!  GP states that I am healthy.

I cannot, and do not want, a prolonged hospital stay, but am aware, that my personal safety is the main issue.  Surely, there is some provision in the UK for outside help under these circumstances, even if it is just to check that a patient hasn't taken a fall at some point!

I have lived most of my life in the US, so am not too familiar with the UK system.  Any feedback on any of this would be very helpful and reassuring.

No family to speak of, and my daughter doesn't drive.  She works in Bath, and I am in Wiltshire.  She would be dependent upon her boyfriend, who lives in Bristol to bring her here!  So, not much help there, I am afraid.

Susie

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was wondering the same. Im 19 and due to get a vwry complicated thr. I think the time depends on whether or not you are recovering to the standards, e.g no infections, able to weight bare and so on.and on help im pretty sure its something to do with district nurses who come out and help you with things like cleaning ans washing and so on and so forth but i could be wrong and not sure how you would go around recieving that help.
  • Posted

A straight forward THR is normally 3 or 4 nights. Admission through the surgical admission lounge direct to theatre on day of op. Out when you can manage to walk to loo, wash, and climb stairs if required. Rare for aftercare supplied by NHS but nothing to stop you paying for help. After a knee replacement my mum had careers in twice a day for a couple of weeks.

longer hospital stays for more complicated procedures and any post op complications

• Posted

I had my left hip done in September. I'm 50 and very active. I was in the hospital for 2 nights., three days. I live alone but I had several friends come and stay with me fur the first week ... And then check in on me a few times a week until I could drive. I could not have taken care of myself well without help those first 5-6 days.
  • Posted

Mine at 62 was 3 nights. I was the first on my ward to be released of people operated on the same day. As soon as I passed all the tests - stairs, going to the loo that was it. By the time I left the sitting room at the end of the ward there was someone else in my place! There should be a discussion of your needs pre op and a post op care package if needed. I have a partner so it was not needed. I think they will keep you in hospital depending on how you recover. If all goes well I think 3 nights are the norm now. I could be wrong but I don't think they will keep you in just because of home conditions. Help will be sorted for that. Make sure your needs are known at the pre op!! They are desperate for beds!
  • Posted

Two nights for me in the UK. I had a carer, my wife, and could climb the stairs. Came home with a bag full of medication, my home has aids, ie. a raised chair and toilet and a bed at the required height. Good luck.
  • Posted

I left hospital on the third night instead of following morning. But as your on your own stay that tiny bit longer. Good luck. Xx
  • Posted

I think I am healthy and fit and am 66..but was told I would stay in as had no one at home to help.  I didn't mind in the end as was so much better at 6 days than at 3 that some are discharged.

​If it is offered I would suggest you say 'yes please' and get a nice person to look after your cat for 6 days..someone is looking after her for three aren't they?? I am sure they wouldn't mind......

Night Susie.

Ali 2.

• Posted

I'm 67 no 68 my birthday today and had my op on a Thursday and came home on the Sunday. Because you are on your own you may well be kept in for longer and if I were you I would stay in for as long as possible because the first week is difficult without help.

Putting on and taking off the elastic stockings is problematical for at least 4 weeks. best stock up with provisions as well because you won't be able to drive for 6 weeks so it's internet shopping. Make sure you get a raised toilet seat. The hospital may provide it for you as did mine. Another useful aid would be the device that helps you get into bed ask the physio for it. I was ok I had the wife to help lift my leg into bed

My cousin was in a similar position to you with no help on a daily basis and he was kept in for a week came home and had a fall and had to be taken back to hospital so take care when you get home. Make sure you always keep your mobile with you just in case because if you do take a fall you won't be able to get up. Please don't let me give you second thoughts because you will be so glad you have had the procedure after a few weeks.

very best of luck to you

• Posted

Hi Colin:

The thought of an entire week in hospital is daunting, indeed.  I am aware that hospitals want "rid" ASAP as they need the beds.  

The first week is the worry, and little chance of having my daughter to stay, as she does not drive, is not paid for days not worked, etc.

I have already laid the groundwork for stocking up, pre op, not sure about the stockings.  I assume they are for DVT?  

This op is becoming scarier than I had anticipated.  The vulnerability of living alone without any form of support is the big worry.  Neighbours could not care less, they are all very young, and transient.  Big turn over of residents as most ofhese prperties are not owner occupied.  I am only one of two out of six. The others all moved in during the course of the year, and I don't know any of them.

Had no idea of the problems of getting in and out of bed, and lifting the operated leg into bed without the help of another person.   Looks as though I shall  have to sleep with it dangling outside!

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Susie,

I have used a technique which others have discovered too - I sort of push my legs together at knees and feet, and use the power in my good leg to assist the operated one to get up.  You can aid it by flopping back into bed from the standing position at the same time, the legs come up as your bottom lands on the mattress, and you just twist around - and hey prest, there you are!

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Good morning susie, the whole operation before is so scary, after you lay in you hospital bed, full of pain killers and fantastic care and you think why i promise, you have the dvt stockings when you wake up, you most probally will have a catheter which is a godsend.  The physio go me up in a frame on the saturday, you may feel dizzy i did then you sit in the chair later they came back and i went on crutches. Once you getbthe hang of them your made.  Once you get home if you can have someone to help you the first week is the worst, sleeping, is hard but the pain is different. Everything you are worried about, the hospital will help you. This time last week i was in the royal free, today for the first time i got washed and dressed entirely on my own. Each and every day you get more confidence and can do something else. I was in your shoes, i could not see where i am today. I promise it will be ok.
    • Posted

Susie...You can find all sorts of ways of doing things.  I was told to wrap a long sacrf round the bad leg's ankle..you can then easily lift your leg out and ino bed,  I know you won't be let home until you can go to loo/shower and do steps and get in and out of bed.  You WILL manage...You may be offered someone coming in twice a day..aslo I didn't have the stockings but did have to inject ( not as awful as it sounds and you will be shown and do it yourself in hospital).  I had 35 to do and counted down to the last few!.  I still have difficulty getting socks on and today am 11 weeks post op..but can but takes time with my 'sock grabber' that I misspelt on an earlier post..put a c where there whould have been a s!

Love,

Ali 2

• Posted

Hi Graham:

Yes, indeed you did reply about this thing about getting in and out of bed.  Somehow, it did not appear in my emails, and I have found it by scrolling down through the various replies.

I did find a site that shows you the technique for getting in and out of bed, and have been practising it, and have found that placing the good leg  behind the bad and using it to push up is the best and most recommended means of gettiing out of bed, and back again, in reverse.  However this is all pre op.

The other issue is with the compression stockings, which I assume are suppose to go on both legs.  I have read that many patients are not given them, but use injections into the stomach instead.  Again, I suppose that this depends on general health.

It is confusing, but I am gradually picking my way through it all.  

Overall, my impression is that how post op is managed is very much dependent on general fitness, and how one responds to, and recovers from whatever form of anaesthesia is used.  

What alarmed me was the posting that a post op was not able to get their operated leg into bed without help.  It was always my understanding that you would not be considered for release until you were able to do this independently of anyone else.  Hoists have been suggested!  There is no way that such a contraption would fit into my bedroom, and I very much doubt that it would be needed, anyway.

Many thanks for your continued good will and assistance in cutting through all this.

Kindest regards,

Susie

• Posted

I do not put the good leg behind the operated one, don't want to fall foul of the 'don't cross your legs' rule.  I find that putting my feet and knees together does it for me.

Compression stockings (TEDs) are a real pain .... to get on/off, and just wearing them for 6 weeks.  Not sure I would want injections every day, I already take rivaroxaban for blood thinner (better than the old warfarin).

I am now 3 weeks though it, so I am sure I can last another 3 weeks with TEDS and without alcohol !

The fitter you are before the op, the quicker you will recover. I was in hospital with a chap that had waited too long for the operation, and he was really struggling to walk, whereas I was regularly walking the corridors on day two after the operation.  Practise the physio exercises as much as you can before you go in for the operation.

You must be able to get in/out of bed - that is usually achieved on day one.  Hoists - no way .... when in hospital I used a strap above the bed, but that was just tomake it easier for myself, I was told firmly that I had to stop using it before they would let me out.

There is so much to know, but at least you will be well informed.

No problem at all, glad to be of assistance, and hope to hear of your speedy recovery soon.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

I was taught in hospital how to get both legs in and out of bed. It is possible to do it yourself albeit rather slowly. Many people use a dressing gown belt, hook it under the leg and use it to aid lift. I did not need to use that. 
    • Posted

Hi Maggie:

I have looked at various websites regarding getting in and out of bed, and one of them suggested that you use your upper body to ease to the edge of the bed, and swivel.  Put your op leg out in front, and the good foot on the ground.  Use the good leg to stand, and then balance.  With all of thisin mind, I have been doing stretching excercises for my bad leg muscles which have atrophied and have been working on upper body strength.  I suspect I shall need it, particularly should I have to get up at night.  Fortunately, I have an en suite, so not far to travel.

The ducks are beginniing to form an orderly row!

Best regards,

• Posted

That is good, the more exercises you can do beforehand to build up muscle strength the better.

Regards,

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.