How many times can I take tranexamic acid during a "period"?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 45 years old and constantly bleeding and awaiting results of womb biopsy and blood test. Have already had pelvic scan and have 2 large cysts on one of my ovaries, awaiting consultant appointment. I've been bleeding heavily for 22 days, I already took 4 days' worth of TA on days 11-14, now I'm starting another 4-day dose as the blood loss is making me weak even with iron tablets. Is it ok to do this?

I've had this prolonged bleeding on and off since April (now Sept), the last period I had in June-July I took TA 3 times and it finally stopped after 6 weeks. Then I had a much lighter bleed in August with no problems. Started bleeding again heavily after the womb biopsy.

What is weird is I get no period pain and the blood is very bright red, it's completely different from how my periods used to be, they have always been pretty normal and regular, although a bit irregular in the last 2 years, with bloating and constipation.

I tried using norestitherone (can't spell it) back in July but it made me feel dreadful and then I just bled heavily again after the 10-day dose, so I'm trying to avoid hormonal treatment until I know what's actually causing this bleeding (I've not taken any artificial hormone treatment for about 12 years). Sorry to go on, it's just so frustrating waiting for results and trying to get doctors' appointments! Thanks for reading smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean - I also had a uturine biopsy a couple months ago and had the same bright red bleeding for about about a week.  It was nothing like my period so I was concerned.  The doctor said that sometimes the procedure may spark your period to happen early.  I told him that I wasn't having any period symptoms that I usually have and he said it could happen that way.  My periods are back on track now.  I am now taking Organic Blackstrap Molasses and Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother) for my symptoms.  I have fibroids that cause irregular bleeding and pain and clotting.  I used to bleed 20 days out of the month.  Now it's just during my period.  My symptoms are way better and the terrible clotting has gone down considerably.  Perhaps these products would help you with your symptoms.  At the very least the Blackstrap Molasses would aid in restoring the iron, magnesium and calcium you are losing.  You should read about the benefits of these products to your body.  They are crucial to my peace of mind.  Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thanks Shannon. Luckily since November my periods have gone back to normal without taking any medication or supplements. The cysts I had seem to have shrunk and disappeared, so maybe they were the cause. If it ever comes back again I shall be better prepared though. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I had a cervix biopsy due to a growth the was viewed from a vaginal ultrasound. The biopsy came back clear. They were checking for abnormal cells. I am thrilled but the growth remains with heavy periods. My Dr isn't concerned about the growth. It doesn't sound like tranexamic acid 650 mg helped stop your bleeding back when you needed it. I hope it works for me Jean. My heavy periods have been going on for 3 years off and on. I am 55 sad Thanks for posting Shannon and Jean. I don't want surgery. Shannon, do you take the molasses daily or when flooding ?
  • Posted

How are you doing ? Your post is from last fall but I am having similar problems.
    • Posted

So am I - I just found this, I have taken 2 days worth of TA and the flow has stopped but still bright red and occasional gushes. I can take 2 more days and then I am absolutely fretting in case I start the absolute flow from my body again. It's been 23 days so far this period and my hameoglobin has dropped but my iron is fine so don't know how. I am booked for a scan on 9th June, what is happening with you? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.