we've said where we are from, would it be helpful 

to divulge our ages.. My consultant said don't wait till

your 80s, I will be almost 79 when I have mine done,

so just in time.

5 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was 30 when I had my first, I'm now on my 3rd at the age of 37!
    • Posted

We could have a thread How many hip operations have you had?

how old is your hip?

The oldest and the youngest so far looks like 30, you,and 78,me!

• Posted

My current hip wmwas done in May 2014 - touch wood this is my most successful one to date!
    • Posted

Hi Tech

Wow...A wood hip.....With your initials carved into it?!

Warmly

Mic

• Posted

It probably would last longer than the titanium one I managed to snap!
    • Posted

I have a titanium with ceramic head. How in the world did you snap it?!
    • Posted

I think what Karen wants to know, as I do, how did you snap it so we can avoid doing whatever it was that caused it!  You poor thing!
    • Posted

I wish I knew, it was a customer made hip and my theory is that it was manipulated too much, as it had to be curved slightly, which weakened it. I was walking from the car park to work on a Sunday so I have never worked a Sunday since (just in case)
    • Posted

What manufacturer made your hip? It was custom made specifically for you? I'm so sorry that happened. Did you have to go in for emergency surgery then? How are you now?

I apologize for all the questions, I'm just shocked that could even happen.

• Posted

It was specifically made for me in Switzerland at the cost of £26k - lasted 18 months, I wish they took me in for emergency surgery but I had 6 months non weight barring crutches whilst I waited for a revision. My second revision came loose, hence on my third (all LTHR) 3 in 5 years so bit of a pro :0)
    • Posted

Wow, tech ... Did you receive any monetary compensation? sorry if this queston offends you ... 

yes, and how are you doing now? 

not to start a thread of horror stories here, but a friend of my parents had 2 hip replacements and "hardware" (manufactured in the USA) was already pulled of the American market when they placed it in her hip (in Holland) .... first one, then the other ... a BIG oopsie with a lot of pain and suffering -  after years she did get compensation though - 

this was a long time ago ...

Hope you are doing well -\

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

OMG Tech,

You poor thing! It must have been a nightmare for you. It's bad enough for those of us for whom the surgery and recovery goes well!

I would hope that you've had some recompense for this as it really is unacceptable.

I hope things work out for you this time.

Take care.

Ali xx

• Posted

Cathie

I'm 51. We have a family history of bad hips😕my brothers had theirs done at an early age as well. Today is my 9 th day post op. I'm feeling pretty good still working on the PT. debated long and hard the pros and cons of getting a new hip at such a young age but... It all came down to quality of life. My husband and I live on 15 acres in the woods and we also have an RV and love to camp... When my hip started preventing me from walking in the woods, I knew it was time. Good luck with everything... Keep it moving ❤️

• Posted

Hi Cathie

Good idea after Hippies starting 'Where you live' and 'Date of ops' threads.

I am 72

• Posted

Great feedback Cathie, 27 replies in first 7 hours.

Congratulations.

• Posted

Thank you, it is good to feel involved,especially

as I'm in the countdown time pre op!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.