How's everyone healing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 10 weeks post-op right foot Lapidus, and 3 days post-op left foot Lapidus. My healing and return to normalcy went fantastic with my right foot. I'm hoping for the same with my left foot.

My nerve block just wore off but there's still minimal pain with consistent use of my pain medication. Mostly just throbbing from the swelling. How's everyone else doing today?

0 likes, 90 replies

90 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! The throbbing slowly subsides over time. That's your nerves telling you they are alive. I'm beginning my 8th week post op. I'm walking rather stiffly but getting around and progressing. Make sure you do leg stretches and flex your ankles alot. A great deal of my discomfort is in my ankle and my calf from being off them for 4 weeks. I did some leg lifts but not enough. We are having storms today and my foot doesn't ache at all. I thought it might because of the screws. I hope your pain level drops quickly!
    • Posted

Hi there. Yeah with my first surgery, tge nerves and zaps all stopped a 4 weeks. Hood luck with your walking! Are you in PT? It made such a big difference for me.
  • Posted

glad to hear you're doing well kaliana! Thursday will make it 9 weeks for me. I feel really good and am hoping to lose the boot tomorrw! the idea of being able to drive and walk again means so much to me haha I don't even remember how!
    • Posted

Fingers crossed for you Nemo on losing the boot! I went to a parking lot to practice driving before I felt ready for the road again. Best!
    • Posted

thanks! i'll let you know tomorrow how it  went!
  • Posted

Hi Kaliana-

Sounds like you are doing great and even brace enough to do your right foot not too long after left foot. That's amazing!

I'm 9 weeks and 2 days post op and am noticing some good progress. I've spent the weekend in tennis shoes and my left foot (lapidus on 9/4) has tolerated it well. So nice to be out of the boot. The boot was causing all kinds of other body pain given the lopsided nature of walking in it. Was also able to get foot in a ballet flat style shoe but not brave enough to wear as I worry about having my foot so exposed.

My incision is still very scabby in places. My swelling is much better (just slight) and can spend quite a bit of time on foot with no swelling or throbbing.

My foot is still a strange blotchy purplish color in places.

I'm doing physical therapy two times per week which is helpful but I still don't have much feeling and almost no movement in big toe which is scaring me. I'm hoping this isn't permanent. Because of the stiffness in toes and ankle I limp when walking.

Ive been having fun trying on my old shoes and noticing how they don't bulge out on the side and look normal.

For me, this journey has been harder emotionally than anything else. The confinement and downtime have been excruciating. Returning to my office last week was helpful.

That's my update! :-)

• Posted

I agree, the journey is hardest emotionally.

That's great that you're out of the boot! It does a number on the body. If you can get a massage, I highly recommend it! It did wonders for me.

I think sticking with sneakers is wise at first. I also can't wait to upgrade to flats. I'm glad you went back to work. It's another step towards normalcy.

Are you putting anything on your incisions to help heal? I did neuosporin until they were fully healed, then I switched to Bio Oil and Mederia. It's made a big difference. Sending my best!

• Posted

Yes, I definitely need to schedule a massage!

I will also look into bio oil and mederia. I think putting something in the incision would be helpful thanks for the advice!

• Posted

As long as the incisions are closed adding the other 2 things will help. And yes, get a massage soon. You'll be happy you did!
    • Posted

My doctor didn't prescribe PT, he just said to keep wiggling my toes. My ankle and calves need to strengthen, I hate the limping but am slowly seeing improvement. Like you, I'm still seeing discoloration and my skin is still peeling. My scar is heeling nicely and I don't think it will be bad at all. None of my shoes fit but I'm still swelling a bit, hopefully it will stop soon. What kind of exercises are you doing? I've been flexing my big toe a lot but it is really stiff and I'm massaging the joint often which is helping a little.

The emotional part is the most difficult for me too. I was pushed to resign because I asked for time off to have the procedure so I'm financially stressed. The hardest part was no contact with my horses, chickens, cat and my wonderful dog. It's better now that my dog can snuggle up. He weighs 200 lbs so I've got to be extremely careful. My hubby was a wonderful caretaker.

• Posted

Your experience so far sounds very similar to mine. I had a lapiidus 9/10 and am at about the same place as you. I'm doing PT twice a week and when they massage my foot it does wonders I love it. It gives instant relief and it's so helpful to have them work on my hamstring and other parts as well as my leg has lost so much muscle. I have a Dr appt tomorrow and am hoping I will be out of the boot then. The boot has been the hardest thing for me since day 1 in getting it. For me I don't do much weight bearing in it but the hardest part is getting my foot to stay flat in it. The foot likes to pick the heel up which makes me have to readjust it all day. I don't wear it much though. Only when I'm moving. I do not miss the days I slept in the boot. Horrible days with no sleep and lots of pain haha. I too am having swelling and purpleish spots like you. For me I don't have too much purple just brusing but when I take a shower I find it shows more, might be the heat or something who knows. Hang in there! We're almost done!
    • Posted

Hi Robtouw,

My skin is still peeling a bit, too.  My scar looks like a mess -- will be curious to see how it all comes together in the end.   My swelling has come down a lot in just the past few days -- still slight swelling but nowhere near what it was and this is after being up and on my feet quite a bit now.

My PT has me doing ankle rotations and stretches.  Also, my foot is so sensitive to the touch that it's uncomfortable so he has me doing desensitization exercises several times a day by massaging my foot with different textured cloth -- for example, something silky and then progressing to something a bit rougher like a washcloth.  My foot has been so sensitive that just the brush of the sheets or blanket in bed would wake me up.

I'm doing lots of wiggling my toe exercises -- seeing a bit of progress on all toes except big toe which just seems stuck.   Side leg lifts as well as front and back while laying down to help strengthen my leg and lots of stretching are the other exercises.

I'm sorry you had to resign your job -- that's got to be really tough.  I've been surprised at just how emotional I've been these past 9 weeks.  I feel like my anxiety levels are almost in panic attack mode at times.  My husband has also been great but he did tell me that he plans to be out of the country when I do my other foot.  Ha ha!

• Posted

Yes, sleeping in the boot was the worst! ugh.  Hope you get out of the boot today.  I actually took matters into my own hands this weekend and just stopped wearing it.  It was throwing my body out of kilter so bad that I found myself just sitting around not wanting to move at all.   I wore tennis shoes all weekend and even ventured out last night for dinner and some shopping -- I was tired and sore at the end but no swelling and overall was ok.  Still limp quite a bit, of course, even without the boot. 

Hope you get good news today at your appt!

• Posted

The desensitizing works, keep at it. I think I'm molting in layers! My scar is healing nicely and my toe is getting a tiny bit more flex in it. I'll do more of the exercises you described. I did do leg lifts and ankle flexes while down. I had no idea how hard 4 weeks is on your muscles. I need the other foot done also. I was managing fine with my ugly bunions until my horse was frightened by a tiny field mouse and stomped on it. I'm in no rush to do the right foot. The stress does get to you! Tell your husband he can come here for the next round and I'll come help you. I'm always looking for an excuse not to muck horse stalls! Haha! Hope the healing continues!
    • Posted

I don't know about you but my thigh is so much smaller on my operated on leg compared to the other. it's so boney I can't wait to get it back to normal it's gross and gets so tired!
    • Posted

Nemo, after 2 weeks of none use the muscle develops atrophy. It sucks but what you loose, you'll gain later on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.