How safe is Metronidazole?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All

I'm in need of a bit of reassurance concerning taking Metronidazole, and hoping some of you can help me.

I've currently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, IBS and Anxiety, and currently taking Omeprazole and Mebeverine (Colofac). I have also developed a lot of food intolerances with my current conditions. For the past few months I've been feeling worse than I normally do, with increased nausea, bloating, burping and generally just feeling unwell. I saw my GP today and we decided that I would get my vitamin B12 levels checked, due to being on Omeprazole, and having a very strict, unvaried diet, blood test for that is now booked for a few days time. We also talked about SIBO as well, and instead of waiting ages for a test, he decided to just go ahead and give me a course of Metronidazole. My doctor seemed confident that this medication is really safe, quite a weak antibiotic and would be fine for me to take, with minimum, if not no side effects developing. He actually takes it himself when he goes on overseas travel, andhe's had no problem with it. However my anxieties got the better of me and I just had to look up the medication. I've now seen lots of comments from users of Metronidazole of how ill it made them feel, and some of the side effects are quite worrying. I really don't want to feel worse than I do right now, so have decided to delay taking them until the results of my vitamin B12 test comes through. If this proves to be ok, then I will have to decide whether I should take the Metronidazole or not. Why he couldn't have just put me in for the test I don't know, I wish he had!

If anyone has any experiences, good or bad, they are willing to share with me, then I would be grateful to hear them. Obviously, the more good comments the better for me, that'll hopefully give me the confidence to take this medication should my B12 levels be ok.

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul my only advise is just avoid alcohol period. During and for 14 days after u have stoped also. Otherwise the side effects shouldn't be that bad. Then again everyone is different and you are on other meds. My only experience was negative because I only waited 48 hours before I had wine with diner and had a very bad experience. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for you reassuring words Jackie. Luckily, I had to give up alcohol a while ago due to an intolerance to it, so no worries there! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.