How serious is this overdose?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My friend messaged me saying they took 4000mg of aspirin, 3000mg paracetamol, 1000mg ibuprofen and 26mg diazepam. I'm trying to talk to them about it and tell them to go to the doctors. Are they at any serious risk? What kind of symptoms could this lead to? Please help.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI...this overdose if not treated will be fatal....even if treated is can and likely has caused irreparable liver and kidney damage...

Your friend MUST CALL AN AMBULANCE NOW !!!!!

Please !!! Make sure that your friend knows that if she waits....she or he will die.....I am sorry to be so blunt....but I cannot push this ENOUGH..waiting means dying...good luck, you are a good friend...fingers crossed...DEIRDRE xxx

• Posted

Huge overdose which needs MEDICAL HELP ASAP. it's no good waiting till she feels Ill. as by then it will be too late. Paracetamol overdose on its own needs treatment ASAP. She/ he needs help immediately
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies - I contacted their parents a while ago and they called an ambulance. They've said he's doing fine, and should recover completely.
  • Posted

Thank goodness you did the right thing. It isn't always easy because sometimes you're afraid the person will be angry at you, but you did what a real friend would do. Your friend really needed AND wanted help. Why else tell you about it? good job!
  • Posted

HI, I am so, so happy that your friend will be okay....very well done to you, you are a true and trusted friend....I wish both yourself and your friend, happiness, peace of mind and a good life ahead of you....all the luck in the world...huge hugs to you both....DEIRDRE xxxx
  • Posted

FATAL? PERMANET INJURY? EMERGRENCY?

ARE YOU KIDDING?

Well let's start with the product monograph. Paracetamol or acetaminophen as its known in North America has set the maximum recommended daily dose at 3000mg. First Synthesized in 1887, it wan't until 2011 that The American FDA asked that it be reduced from 4000mg to 3000mg. So we have an individual taking a dose not exceeding even the warning from the extremely litigation wary manufacturer and the US body that oversees the manufacturer. The LD50 is estimated at 400 mg per kg. Therefore if 20 of these individuals consumed 4000 mg each (which is a lot more than the 3000mg in this case ...and here is the kicker.....all 20 were a hefty 10kg or 22 pounds each..... only half of them would be expected to suffer a fatal overdose. So unless we are talking about a 10 or even a 30  month old baby maybe we should slow down a bit with the panic button. Yes, taking this amount for more than 10 consecutive days is discouraged. Yes, permant liver damage is a concern with excessive paracetamol but not on 4g/day.especially if other meds like phenobarbital, phenytoin (Dilantin), orcarbamazepine (Tegretol) (anti-seizure medications) or isoniazid (INH,Nydrazid, Laniazid) are absent. - Yes, acetaminophen is often the culprit in OD fatalities but at much much higer doses. Yes, there are  cases of OD at the 3-4g level but do, rare the drive to the ER would be much more likely to result in death.

So ,lets go with aspirin 650mg up to 6x per day which puts us at almost 4000mg .hmmm. sound familiar

As these meds operate on different physiological systems the effects are not compounded with the combination,

on to ibuprofen with a safe dosage set at 1200mg/day

Now, this combo may cause stomach irritation - maybe bleeding but not life threatening.

26 mg of diazepam, well Oral LD50 of diazepam is 720 mg/kg in mice and 1240 mg/kg in rats so I'll let you so the math, In all likelihood this individual would have fallen asleep woken a few hours later and maybe complaining of a bit of tummy upset.......certainly not in stomach pumping land.

So , Im not suggesting a trip to the hospital was unwarranted as it may be an indication of (very poorly researched) suicidal ideation or some other psychiatric issue and I do advocate that when in doubt seeking medical help is always a good idea. But someone posted asking for help in what they thought might be a crisis. What they got was AN UNNECESSARY  PANIC ATTACK  and a perfect example of why asking for medical information from a website is an awful idea. 

Why not call your pharmacy or "chemist" , a family doctor might be a resource.Anyone think of reading a bottle label before offering such expertise?

What if one of these moronic CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION caused a car crash enroute to the hospital. 

My god you should be ashamed!

• Posted

Why should anyone who replied feel ashamed? Have you tried getting a call answered immediately by a Dr? or an out of hours/walk in centre? You can be waiting for hours for a call back from either triage nurse or Dr. In the meantime the patient remains untreated. The op asked for help over 4 days ago, and you've only just replied, what help is that? The patient could have died by the time you replied with only criticism for people who tried to help.
    • Posted

My god, you shouldn't be a know-it-all, thinking you can judge other people so harshly. You need to pray for some humility before you trash the wrong person. Just saying.
  • Posted

ive said my piece (apparently twice..sorry about that) but the Op was feeling in a crisis not looking for a hug. So ill not incite things further and bow out. My point was simply if you don't know what your talking about say so instead of throwing out  alarm bells that have no science to support them.

ala 

"HI...this overdose if not treated will be fatal....even if treated is can and likely has caused irreparable liver and kidney damage...

HI...this overdose if not treated will be fatal....even if treated is can and likely has caused irreparable liver and kidney damage...

Your friend MUST CALL AN AMBULANCE NOW !!!!!

I apparently intertrupted a garden party, adieu 

• Posted

HI indigomo.....what on earth is your problem....there was a person in distress...if you read the post...then why did YOU NOT REPLY...WITH YOUR PHARMACEUTICAL KNOWLEDGE...YOU MAY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PUT THEIR MIND AT REST....

YOUR long and thoroughly unpleasant post helps no one.....

One...I was once a NURSE in a casualty dept....two...I have been in that same situation, I was hospitalized for two days.....

You are dealing with people who are unhappy and scared on this forum...SO..IF YOU CANNOT SAY SOMETHING KIND OR HELPFUL...THEN KEEP YOUR CONDESCENDING, UNHELPFUL..AND TOTALLY, TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF....SHAME ON YOU, YOU COULD BE CAPABLE OF PUSHING SOMEONE OVER THE EDGE....DEIRDRE....

• Posted

Deirdre.

Please don't let the idiots sarcastic & truly stupid comments get to you.

If they had nothing positive to add when someone was obviously very concerned about their friend then, why bother commenting if only obviously looking to draw attention to how much they think they know but instead only making themselves look truly heartless & totally Pathetic!!

Well done for your comments on giving the great advice to someone that needed it & was really worried about someone they cared very much about.

Just ignore the idiots Pathetic comments. Well done!!

Ritchie xx

• Posted

MY SINCERE APOLOGIES....MY POSTS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED TO AN UNPLEASANT INDIVIDUAL CALLED REG....REG....REG...DEIRDRE...
    • Posted

Deirdre don't worry, I for one know exactly who your comments were directed at
    • Posted

I really wish I had seen this post 7 months ago!!!

Well done to those that posted help straight away to the op that obviously desperately needed it.

To the idiot that belongs in or that has escaped from a nut house. What a complete knob you are!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.