How soon?

Posted , 10 users are following.

How soon after hip replacement opearation is it advisable to fly? Are there any precautions that should be taken when booking or during a flight?

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes there are apart from anything else the risk of DVT. Others on here will know much better, cos it has affected them, but I think it is at least 8 weeks short haul and longer for long haul. 
  • Posted

We fly Monday and I was just outside the three month zone as the surgeon said three months. I'm getting airport assistance and booked the seats at the front for leg room and a  aisle seat so the person next to me does not knock or squash my leg. We are not using the transfers we have ordered a taxi to the resort and back to the airport when the holiday is over.but you do need to get the ok from your surgeon or Dr. X hope this helps. X
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

I have been told not to travel at all by plane before three months; after this time it's ok to take a short haul flight. After six months it's ok to travel long haul.

But there are different ideas on this topic.. I am sure you will get a lot of answers. You could ask your doctor to be absolutely sure.

All the best

Ella 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

my Sugeon said no flights from London to Australia for a year and my Insurance company said I would have to pay a large supplement for my hip to be insured before that too. 

Betty

• Posted

At my six week review I asked consultant if I could take a fifty minute flight week 7 and he said a definite no!! Then he went on to say that if gp would prescribe a course of blood thinners, I could go. Well I defo didn't want anymore blood thinners. I forgot to ask when it was safe to fly but see him in November again so will ask.
  • Posted

8 weeks after my thp, I found flying made my arms very tired, so I used an aeroplane. 😉😇
  • Posted

good tip dave!!   hahahahahahahaha    need a laugh   thanks  - broke the serious
  • Posted

Oh, very surprised by answers on here.  I think I'd better double check what they say.  My consultant definitely said 12 weeks for long haul but I am about to book a flight to Santa Fe for next week, which is a long way. !! It is to deal with a family issue so if doctor, or insurers say 'no' I will happily hand over to someone else.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.