How soon after hydrocelectomy for exercise?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am scheduled for a hydrocelectomy the day after tomorrow. I'm wondering how soon after the surgery I can be physically active without serious discomfort. Specifically, I am a drummer and have been asked to perform at a show just 2 weeks after the surgery.

If I accept this job, I will be required to load my equipment into my truck, then from the truck to the stage, set it up, play for up to 4 hours (with short breaks every hour) while sitting on a drum stool and leaning forward. Then load it back into the truck, then back into my house.

Right now, my hydrocele is about the size of a softball. Last weekend I played a 4 hour show and was fairly uncomfortable with the pressure, but it wasn't unbearable. I understand that there will be swelling after the surgery.

Those of you who have had this surgery, what do you think? Should I commit to this show?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Its going to be cutting it close I have had 2 hydrocelectomy's in 5 months and the first week of both was hell. They say no heavy lifting for a month but I am returning to the gym today which is 3 weeks after surgery there is still some swelling and a bit of pain from where they attach the testicle to the scrotum.
  • Posted

After 2 weeks, i was getting more comfortable, but saw my doctor before going back to work & he told me, i should only go back if i didn't lift anything & not to do a full day, The swelling was still pretty big, but discomfort rather than pain. I would suggest its prob a bit soon, but we are all different!, you will only really know after 10 days how you are doing. I'm 6 weeks on no real pain, but swelling is still like small orange!

• Posted

Thanks for the responses. There's not a lot of heavy lifting involved, but I'm most concerned about the continuous pressure on the scrotum while playing. I guess I'll tell them to find someone else. I'm sure they'll call me for other shows in the future.
    • Posted

Even if you dont do the show I would suggest investing in some tighty whiteys or lycra briefs there will be plenty of swelling that can last months and the testicle will be heavy as well, good luck dude.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.