How to actually get rid of thread worms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Realised I had thread worms, went to see the doctor straight away, told my family, washed all bed linen 60 degrees, hoovered, steam cleaned, obsessively washing hands and body etc..  

I take Mebendazole Ovex, follow a strict cleaning/hygiene regime, a week later I can still feel the itching, so I take another tablet. 3 days in and I can still feel the itching. If anything it seems to have annoyed them?

i intend to actually keep taking ovex menbendazole weekly until they go.. But then I'm thinking what if they never do?

I've heard there's another type of medicine pripsen but apparently it's not sold in the uk anymore?

can anyone actually reassure me that they've managed to get rid of them and how they did it?!

i feel like I'm going crazy obsessively washing hands and everything else, I won't even touch our pets incase they've got them in their fur.. 

i just want to be rid of them.. Please help 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ther are 2 sorts of threadworm mebendazole is only effective in one type the other needs albendazole I believe.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying! Do you know where I can get albendazole from? A 
  • Posted

Hi, you could try asking your GP or try typing into Google, buy albendazole uk, you may find somewhere to buy that way.
  • Posted

If you have pets,have they been treated for worms?  You could be re-infesting yourself from anything the pets touch such as bedding. Make sure you dont put your fingers anywhere near your mouth and dont eat in your bedroom as the food could pick up the eggs.   This is just an old remedy but you could try garlic. Crushed garlic cloves in your food for a week or so may help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.