How to cope on holiday with vitiligo

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, iv been reading some of your vitiligo posts & really didn't realise how many do have it. No one in my family does & they just don't seem to understand how I feel. I am 24 and am very self conscious. I hate that I can't feel comfortable with my body knowing people are looking at me. I started getting it about 3 years ago & it's getting worse every year. My hands & arms are my worst patches as I can't cover them up. I haven't been on holiday or in a bikini since I had it. I'm now due to go in a few weeks and am really worried about putting a bikini on and what I'm going to look like. I have bought cover ups for over my bikini & plenty of sun cream & I feel it's in treatable so I just have to deal with it, but it really is making me worried & stressed & I don't know how to cope. I hope someone has dealt with this too & has some positive information on something I could do or use to help. Thanks in advanced

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Kayleigh

Worry not. I go to Italy 5 times a year and go to the beach. I am also very self-conscious so don't think i'm brazening it out! Here's my coping strategy:

Use factor 50 sunscrean

Make sure you have a parasol and a large brim sunhat

Use night tan (St Tropez mousse works best for me) the night before

Use camourflage cream on your hands and arms in the morning before the beach

If you go in the sea, make sure you can quietly apply more camourflage as you dry because none of the creams seem to be really waterproof

Remember most people are too far away to see individual blemishes and will only see the whole of you so buy a great bikini and keep in shape.

The good thing about vitiligo is that the patches are not raised so if you can tone the whiteness down no-one will know.

Even my husband says that if he didn't know I had vitiligo he would not be aware of it.

Take control and treat your body as if it's a painting and paint it!

All the best

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply Angela! That's excellent tips, I shall take them on board thanks! The camouflage cream, which one is the best do you think & where can I get it from? I feel this would be a great help but my doctors have never mentioned it, they've just said it's something I have to learn to live with.

Thanks again x

• Posted

Kayleigh

I use Keromask and buy it online. I prefer the tubes to the bottles. You can get a test pack so you can choose the most suitable colour(s) which I recommend. I have a colour that suits my skin in the winter and quite a bit darker for the summer as you can mix them and also different parts of the body tan more. You will also need the setting powder as this helps with rub-off. I apply it with a sponge.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I would just like to thank you for your help & advice.

I went for a keromask consultation last week, have bought a few products and am very impressed. It's going to take some getting used to & more time getting ready but definitely worth it as makes me feel so much better in myself.

Thank you ever so much!

Kayleigh x

• Posted

Kayleigh

It does take more time and sometimes I'm glad when winter comes and I can cover up!

If you make any interesting discoveries about camourflage, let me know!

I sometimes go to the meetings in London run by the Vitiligo Society as it's a good source of seeing some of the latest products.

All the best

Angela x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.