How to cure red rims with Blepharitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have posted before on this subject. Last time I was at the eye hospital the doctor commented

that my blepharitis was bad with blocked glands. I have just been back to the glaucoma clinic and

this time the I was told that it was not too bad and the glands were not blocked but the rims were

really inflamed. I must say my eyes have felt much better this last few weeks. No so good after all

the eyedrops and lights in the eye etc. I am going to try bicar of soda, as I find the baby shampoo

stings. I had just been using boiled water. I use hot flannel for compresses, tried microwave rice

bag and found it too heavy and dry heat made them worse. I have also tried blephasol, not sure

if it helps or not. My question is what can I do for the red rims which are there even when the eyes

feel pretty good. Any advice? Thanks.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My Consultant told me to use a drop of baby shampoo or similar in hot water, with a falnnel and put the hot flannel on my eyes until the flannel cooled.   He also told me not to use any creams at all on my eyes.  I now have no problems with blepharitis.  I find the hot flannel very soothing.
  • Posted

You might find the red rims are an allergic reaction to baby shampoo or whatever.  I don't use baby shampoo because they use formaldehyde releasers in it and I am allergic to them.  [The ingredient that is often in baby shampoo, is DMDM Hydantoin]
    • Posted

Hi, Thanks for your replies.  I did use baby shampoo for many years

Over the last few years the bleph has become much worse, not helped but 2 cataract surgeries.  I have not used the shampoo for a few weeks as it sometimes stung, in fact even water can do this.  I have just used plain boiled water. As I mentioned I am going to try bicarbonate of soda.  I will look at the link you have provided.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Posted

I just use a spot of handwash, that I know I am not allergic to.

Have you seen your Ophthalmologist recently?  Perhaps you have a slight infection or something and need some drops that they can prescribe.

Just keep any creams or makeup away from your eyes.

• Posted

Hi,You will see from my original post that I have been twice to the eye hospital in the last 2 months.  The last time was yesterday when I was told that the bleph was much better than it was 2 months ago. No blocked glands much less debri but the main problems was red rims which of course are very sensitive.  I do not have any infection.  I have not used eye makeup for 2 or 3 years.  What about foundation, although

I don't use it on the eye lids.  Apart from that can't think of anything else

except that I do get very stressed and suffer from anxiety.  I have also

noticed over the years that although I have short hair it is much better 

each time it is trimmed.  I was also told by a consultant dermatologist to

use nizoral shampoo.  So I have gone back to this again.  Thanks once again.

• Posted

Dear Libralady,

The Wet Ones, hand wipes work because they contain Benzethonium Chloride.

Notice one of the causes they think of Blephatritis.

Staphylococcal blepharitisThis type of blepharitis is thought to be caused by a bacterium (germ) called staphylococcus.

Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride are called Quats.

Quats are effective in destroying a broad spectrum of harmful microorganisms. They are effective in killing the following microorganisms while cleaning the surfaces upon which they reside – all in one simple step.

Gram negative and gram positive bacteria like salmonella typhi, staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus epidermidis and pseudomonas aeruginosa,

If you are not allergic to shampoos, detergents, fabric softners or even spermicidal jellies you should see if you can kill it this way as others have had success. Even the red eyes are gone after a period of 2 weeks one girl told me and she said she had it for 6 years.

Hope this info helps.

Lynda 79

• Posted

Thank you for replying.  Can you get the wet ones in the high street or do you need to order them on line.
    • Posted

Dear Libralady,

I know there are a lot who are afraid to use the wipes.

Here is a tox report I found.

International Journal of Toxicology

3 Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Benzethonium Chloride and Methylbenzethonium Chloride

Abstract

Benzethonium Chloride and Methylbenzethonium Chloride are quaternary ammonium salts used in cosmetics primarily as preservatives and secondarily as cationic surfactants, usually at concentrations below 1 percent. They can be irritating to the skin at concentrations of greater than 5 percent. Chronic and subchronic feeding studies indicated little or no toxic effects for both ingredients. Benzethonium Chloride was nonmutagenic in microbial systems and shown to be noncarcinogenic in rodent studies.

In clinical studies, Benzethonium Chloride produced mild skin irritation at 5 percent but not at lower concentration. Neither ingredient is considered to be a sensitizer.

It is concluded that both compounds are safe at concentrations of 0.5 percent in cosmetics applied to the skin. A maximum concentration of 0.02 percent is safe for cosmetics used in the eye area.

The wipes are .03%. They do not go in the eye. If you use steroids you are putting into your eyes BAK, as a preservative. BAK is benzalkonium chloride (an ammonium salt compound same family as benzethonium chloride).

Honjon used the wipes in the UK and they had benzalkonium chloride in them and they worked too. Look at his info on this site.

This all started because a friend killed it with an Avon Facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride in it.

I was desperate and jumped on anything that would kill it. I found out they why and how after someone was allergic to them. They were allergic to the hand wipes. I always post about that now. These work for about 80% of the people. It is the cheap way to kill it.

If you need more info let me know. Do my best.

Thinking of you,

Lynda79

• Posted

Dear libralady,

Someone today said that the UK wipes have .3% of Benzalkonium Chloride in them. I live in US. The wipes I used have .03% Benzethonium Chloride in them. That is a huge difference if that is true.

Please order on-line and get the ones I know to be safe if you are not allergic.

Hope this info helps.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi,

I need to correct this info. The US wipes are .3% Benzethonium Chloride.

I used these to kill the Blepharitis. Sorry was in desperate need of new glasses. Got then and could see the little dot after the 0.

Sorry, I did try let people know and I missed this one.

Lynda79

• Posted

Hi Lynda,  I have never used the wet wipes but when you say you used them to kill the blepharitis do you mean the bacteria causing it.  As I understand there are 2 types of blepharitis one non infectious and one infectious.  I have been under the eye hospital for many years and no opthalmologist as ever suggested that my eyes were infected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.