How to feel better

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had anxiety for two months and for the last month it feels like I havent felt happy or excited for anything for the most of the month. I want to feel happy again and return to my normal life... It feels like getting up is a bursen and having to do anything is also, does anyone have a suggestion on how to feel better?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I do therapy and it helps me a lot. I also started medication about a month ago. My anxiety kind of came from nowhere, so sorting out the emotions has been difficult. Medication definitely helps, but if you aren't ready to jump into that just yet, I would suggest finding someone to talk to. Anxiety is so personal, and having one person to go to can be comforting. Also, I have recently started using mindfulness as a way to cope with anxiety, and it seems to be helping a bit. Good luck, and keep posting! It can get better! It will take time, but you will start to see parts of yourself coming back.
    • Posted

Can I just ask what medication do you take ,glad you are getting help and feeling a bit betterĀ 
    • Posted

I take celexa (citalopram) and I am only on 10 mg. I think I am going to go up to 20 mg today when I see the doctor. But so far i can feel a difference.
    • Posted

My therapist won't give me any meds and she's not really helping how I feel. thanks for the post.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I have been struggling quite badly lately and am thinking of going back to GP tomorrow and ask for medication , I have had counselling and a stress awareness course, but although I now understand how the physical symptoms affect you I still suffer anxiety attacks and find I go out less and less .did you ask for medication or were you offered it as I know my GP practice is against giving itĀ 
    • Posted

I've only been to the therapist for a month and I haven't 'asked' I brought meds up once but she just shook her head.
    • Posted

My therapist waited months before suggesting medicine. I went to my GP the next day, and she gave them to me. My therapist isn't a Pdoc so she can't give me medicine herself, but my doctor was very willing to do it. She said it's very common and the one she gave me was a pretty safe one. I will warn you though, things got worse before they got better. I was pushed to the edge when I started medicine, but I waited it out and now most of the side effects and most of the anxiety is gone. But it takes time.
  • Posted

The reason why doctors won't give you medication is because they believe it's all a mental thing and you can get over it. That's how my first doctor was but I kept insisting and they gave me Paxil (which I didn't like, I got horrible migraines). Then I went to a different doctor (who I have today) and she was more understanding and she gave me celexa to take everyday and Xanax when I have those immediate panic attacks that I can't control. I've only taken the Xanax because at night is when I get the most attacks. It does help by making you drowsy and putting you to sleep. What I do is keep myself busy ALL DAY. That's the best thing to do, just distract yourself. Hang out with friends, family, read a book, start a new hobby, play video games, etc. it's baby steps but it helps. Or just talk to someone about your anxiety, that makes you feel better also
    • Posted

I try to play games when I can but I don't have much I want to do. As for talking to my family after two months they already are tired of it my dad yells at me to suck it up and all my mom says is 'tell yourself to let it happen' and they both just do that and it makes it worse. So support is a no from family and I have no friends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.