How to keep a patch on without falling off?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all! After posting asking about info on diff pain med patches, I just remember my Neuro did give me ONE (yes, one) teeny 12 mg patch of Fent. After googling where to put it, etc .........i found it bubbled or creased , no matter where I put it! (Inner thigh, inside upper arm) Needless to say it fell off after 4 hours, never to be seen again! And the teeny 12mg, I never felt a twinge from it much less pain relief.

Ive heard people talking of taking it on & off when in the sun, etc. Honestly mine barely stuck after moving it once, 5 min after initially putting it on.

This is one of the reasons Im debating whether or not to even start a patch of anything. I dont want it to fall off & throw me into withdrawals!

Any advice and info greatly appreciated!

Kimmi

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

some people recommend tegaderm transparent patch or micorporeĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Kimmi:  Johnson & Johnson makes something called a "Bioclusive" transparent dressing that will cover the patch.  It is waterproof and will keep the patch from falling off.  I used to use the Fentanyl patches, and used these Bioclusive Dressings very successfully.  Good luck and let me know sif they work out for you.

• Posted

?Kimmi0427, Yes I have the answer to your problem. I decided to go with a hormone patch after my hysterectomy and it seemed I was having the same problem but there is something you can get and it is called Sure Prep and when you pull this up it will give more than one option and you don't want the one to make you poop . It is in an individual  paper like a bandaid would be and it's kinda like an alcohol pad and you rub it where your gonna put the patch at and dry for a minute then put the patch right where you used the Sure Prep and it'll stay on till you take it off. I haven't had a problem since I started using this. I hope this helps. I will tell you where you clean and prep the area it will feel dry and somehow I think the reason that we have trouble keeping these things on is oil in our skin somehow affects things staying put. You'll know just how good it is when you take the old patch off and you feel and you could almost put another patch right where you just pulled that one from but I don't usually do that because of chance of irratating the area. Let me know how it works out for you . Keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.