How to stop increasing myopia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!

One year ago my daughter was diagnozed with myopia (not strong meanwile), and she wears glasses. She is now almost 8 years old and she loves reading.

As far as I know, if reading many hours during the day, the myopea increases, as the eyes get focused to close object and this causes tension of the lens muscle which eventually causes the eye to lenghen.

I want to buy a projector, so my daughter will read e-books on screen placed 3 meters from her, and so her eyes will not focus on close object and the myopia will not increase.

Did anybody try this method?

Will appretiate any advice.

LeoG

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi LeoG

how wonderful that your daughter enjoys reading.

And yes, it is important to maintain that interest and ability.

I don't have any experience of the method that you suggest. Have you discussed this with either the opthalmologist and/or RNIB? They may have ideas of what works and also there may be other things that have been developed for this case.

Good luck to you and your daughter

• Posted

The thing that I would be wary about, is the staring at a screen.

One of the things that the CNN article mentions, is the possibility of not being exposed to enough sunlight.  

• Posted

But why staring at computer screen would subject you to less sunlight than reading a book?

(Well, you can read it outdoors, but who does this nowadays).

It is hard to believe that reading a lot does not contribute to myopia.

Everyone knows about watchmakers who work all their lives with very small things and very close to their eyes. They all have high myopia degree. Similar embroideress.

But other craftsmen who work indoors and not in the sunlight (for example, carpenter or plumber) do not develop myopia.

Look at professional ballet dancers or ping-pong players. They coach a lot of hours daily and all indoor. Are they myopic?

Myopia is directly related with two factors: (1) genetic factor (2) straining your eyes in short distance.

Perhaps sun light is also important, but reading, working on computer and especially smartphone may hours a day (as you hold smartphone very close to your eyes) - this what really increases myopia.

If sunlight were crucial factor, it would be obvious that in northern countries myopia would be much more wide spread, but it does not happen.

The sunlight theory sounds interesting, but why is myopia so much widespread in Asia, where there is plenty sunlight?

OK, it could be because of different genes in Europeans and Asian people, but in Europe myopia is not more common in Sweden than in Spain.

Have a look here (book about myopia) : http://www.myopia.org/ebook/12chapter7.htm

• Posted

My child was diagnosed with Pathological myopia and I was shocked to hear that, at present, there is no cure available for it. I switched over to homeopathy and was amused to find that his myopic progression was checked. It is a long term course  but effective. I am sharing the prescription and advice all parents to consult homeopathy physician before initiating it. Gelesmium 200- 1 drop daily, Physostigma Venenosum 200-  1 drop daily, Kalium phosphoricum 6x- 3 tablets 3 times a day. 

• Posted

Hi LeoGe,

It's been a while since you posted, but I wanted to respond because I have done a lot of research on this and it's important to me. Both of my kids are myopic. My husband is too. I am not. I was frustrated by this.

Anyway, mrsmop was right. It's lack of exposure to sunshine that causes myopia, plus genetic pre-disposition. It is NOT near work. Researchers proved that near-work is not the cause of myopia in many, many studies. So your projector idea will not help her. Studies are being done in Australia and China about how lack of sunshine causes the eye to lengthen because it doesn't get enough sunlight. Sunshine releases dopamine which keeps the eye from overgrowing.

There has been an explosion of near sighted adults in China because they stay inside all day to work and study and so they lose their distance vision. 90% of Chinese adults males are myopic. The Australian researchers recommend a minimum of 14 hours outside a week for growing children. That is way more than the average American kid spends outside unless they are doing outdoor sports. So if you want your child's myopia to stop progessing, get her involved in OUTDOOR sports. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.