how to stop worrying over bp

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone got over the anxiety of taking blood pressure at home or the docs?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I hate having my BP taken, because A) I hate it when the thing squeezes your ar m had, just a sensation I don't like. B) I hate waiting around in surgeries/hospitals, because my brain goes into overtime thinking about it.

Get a BP machine, decent ones are cheap these days, ask what your GP uses so it would be a like for like comparison and do your BP when relaxed in the comfort of your own home.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply   I will buy an omron one I think... do you have a one at home? yes it is amatter of slowing the mind down ...

cryrolleyes these little icons are me over bp

• Posted

Yes, my GP kept nagging me. I had/have a problem with alcohol which increases BP and about 18 months ago I had a massive stroke, bleed on the brain caused by high BP, so I'm on two different meds for BP alone, as well as the others.

The funny thing was, they used to come and do obs (observations every four hours) BP, heart rate and temp. Not only did they do it at 10:00pm at night and 6:00am in the morning, but they used to wake you at 2:00am to do it as well, which drove me mad.

I got so good at controlling it, that I used to play silly games with them. I would go into a really calm mood (it was quite a surreal experience anyway) and imagine it was a lovely summers day and I was walking my dog through the meadow.

I managed to get it down to 75/50, they had an absolute flip, a manager came to see me in the morning, I remember definitely mananger, she didn't say she was a doctor or a nurse or consultant, and asked me what was was up and when I told her, she gave me a bollocking, to which I said, you keep waking me up from a deep sleep at 2:00am and I'll keep playing silly buggers.

• Posted

75/50   you must have been over medicated do you  think   they say shoul.nt be below 100 on top lol

• Posted

I bought the top of the range Omron a couple of years ago but there is a better cheaper one now reccommemend by NICE the Microlife WatchBP home monitor that also indicates AF. 
  • Posted

I suffer with anxiety and am dreadful at doc surgery. By having my own BP monitor I find that after first day of readings, I calm down for next few days readings. In fact my GP asks me to take 7 days of readings twice daily and to disregard the first day! So that works for me luckily. (A few years ago I was having my BP done at the surgery which ended up with me being wheeled out on a bed for an ECG as had a panic attack!) All a learning curve! I have an Omron with upper arm cuff. Not cheap but reliable.
  • Posted

My husband has heart failure, and developed severe anxiety issues.

When Dr does his BP always high, we have recently changed Dr's and he is a great Dr with a gentle and naughty sense of humour which helps.

I still have Omron machine at home, that i use in the run up to appt, I record his reading in a little book I have, and if I think he's in trouble, couple of times I have headed off a real crisis, when his reading have been off the normal range, Dr's at the hospital have photocopied pages of my book for their own records.

• Posted

Helen - Doctor has written in my little exercise book where my husbands blood pressure should be, and how much I am allowed it to go each side of that reading before I panic, also what his heatbeat should be, and again how much either side of that he shoud go before I panic. 

You should see the junior staff at the emergency department at the hospital panic, when I pass them the book of what his blood pressure reading are, the first thing they say, is that cannot be normal, Its not normal, its not meant to be normal, but they still put him on their machines, and usually, my little Omron machine is not far off their big fancy machine, beeping with each heartbeat at 43, apparently normal bottom range on those machines is 50.

Once they calm down and listen to what I have to say, they get the story of what is going on, and what medications my husband is on to keep his heatbeat slow, and his blood pressure low.

• Posted

Hi Helen.

I suffered from anxiety and had high blood pressure at the doctor'sclinic. Then I realized that I had no hypertension but anxiety. It was all about White coat Hypertension.  https://patient.info/health/home-and-ambulatory-blood-pressure-recording

Measuring blood pressure at home is the best.

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

• Posted

Thanks Sunny N     yes  it mostly is  white coat and nerves of getting a high reading   so you are not on meds then??  thanks for your link ....
  • Posted

Hi Helen, understand completely how you feel, i developed severe phobia of bp and couldn't go near a machine for 2 yrs, I am on bp meds but my anxiety takes over, I get a reading of 130/90 then it's 180/119! It's awful, now having phobia councelling and managed to get a reading of 140/90 , I am going to keep exposing myself to get over. This horrible weihjt
  • Posted

Hails - Do you have your own BP machine.

Secondly, do you understand how it works, when it takes your blood pressure.

All very well me saying all of this, I too have a nasty phobia of dentists.

I was tied down as a child, and even with counselling, have struggled to get past the full blown phobia.

Can even sit in with a dentist and pass the instuments, and watch him treat somebody esle, but if he/she looks at me I go into a full scale panic.

GP Dr working with dentist have worked out that if i take 15mg of Valium 30 minutes before the appointment, makes me drunk/wobbly, I can doo the appointment, even so, exhausted afterwards, hate to think just how high my blood pressure would be.

• Posted

Hails - Do you have your own BP machine.

Secondly, do you understand how it works, when it takes your blood pressure.

All very well me saying all of this, I too have a nasty phobia of dentists.

I was tied down as a child, and even with counselling, have struggled to get past the full blown phobia.

Can even sit in with a dentist and pass the instuments, and watch him treat somebody esle, but if he/she looks at me I go into a full scale panic.

GP Dr working with dentist have worked out that if i take 15mg of Valium 30 minutes before the appointment, makes me drunk/wobbly, I can doo the appointment, even so, exhausted afterwards, hate to think just how high my blood pressure would be.

• Posted

Thanks Lynn 51

Yes I have my own machine and know how it works, I had a terrible experience at GPs of hypertensive crisis and that left me with a phobia, I have egnored it as long as I can but have to do it now, I started just having it on the side and then putting on my arm, then I can blow it up, I still panic and shake and my heart is on the 90s but I am going to concur this phobia with constant exposure. Good luck at the dentist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.