How to switch from Benzodiazepines to Anti-Depressants?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

I'm asking for a friend again, and out of curiosity: 

How does it work if someone was on benzodiazepines (like Diazepam or Lorazepam) for a while (2 months). 

As far as I understand, Anti Depressants (SSRIs) are better for long term treatment of GAD and OCD. How does the transition work? Do you take both medications for a while until you get off Benzodiazepines and the Anti Depressants have started to work? 

Are there any traps to be aware of? Is it hard to switch? Is it a good idea? 

Thanks a lot, 

L

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Best advise is for your friend to speak to her Dr, however im sure the advise will be to start the Anti Depressants whilst tapering down the benzos. 2 months isn't really a long time to be on benzo's but not sure what dose your friend takes and how often.

Lets say 5mg twice a day, the Dr may suggest starting the AD's straight away possibly on a low dose and cutting down benzo to once a day to 5mg for a week, then 2.5mg for a week, then finish but keep a small supply to take as and when needed until AD kick in usually between week 2 and 4. 

Your GP may suggest keeping on them until AD's start yo work then taper down.

Eitherway your friend needs to feel in control of the switch so make sure he/she is happy with the programme.

Benzos are addictive however in my experience they are only addictive if abused by taking when not needed, more than prescribed, increasing dose or taken regularly over a period of more than 2-4 months and then only "start" to be one addicted.

ive been on AD's and Diazepam since September and only took diazepam when needed, I've generally taken between 2.5 and 5mg pd with the odd day without but not had one for three days and had no withdrawal symptoms.

Again best advise is discuss with Dr. N

• Posted

As far as I'm aware you have to stop benzodiazepines for a while then start ssri

this admittedly is hard

• Posted

Interesting: There seems to be different opinions on the topic. I also didn't find it very well documented on the internet. 

@Aspinan Thanks a lot! I'm not sure about the dose, I don't think it's very high. But it does get a lot worse immediatley when he stops taking the medication. 

He'll see a GP again soon,  but I always like to know what to expect. Just in case something else than the expected is happening. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.