How you feel after your VS

Posted , 7 users are following.

After having my first VS last Friday

I felt as if I had a burst of energy

Which I haven't felt like that for years

But the next day I felt back to the old no get up & go mode again but worse

Headaches haven't stopped & joint / cramp pains are really painful ,

Though I'm wondering if start of arthritis might be the issue with my constant pain

Beings I've got other illnesses & allergic to codeine

The only pain relief I am able to take is paracetomol which don't really help

Ive got my next VS this Friday & so on every week

I'm waiting to see if I get another energy burst as loved feeling like that

If definetly made a nice change

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Ive had 6 so far. One I felt like you felt - just great. Others were the opposite. I think each one in a way had its own distinct flavor to them. One my legs felt really heavy and weak. Another I felt great! Another I had cramps. Another was my shoulder. Just depends. This last one done a week ago was pretty good. 
  • Posted

I had my first one on monday and still don't feel any better. My ferritin level was at 1887 so I have a while to go. I'm going to be going weekly and can't wait to start feeling normal again. I've been having sore joints, stomach pain, tired all the time, and a skin condition the doctor said is related.

• Posted

Hi chris, I am interested in what the skin condition you have that the dr says is related.  All due to my interest in everything hemochromatosis.

Some say they have itchy skin.  I had a patch at the back of my neck where I reckon the iron in my skin still hung around.  It was evident in my upper body prior to diagnosis.  My collars constantly had a rusty stain despite nightly scrubbing.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl.

My arms started with red red spots, then it turned into dry red spots just like a dry skin condition but it kept worse and worse going from my arms to my legs. It looks pretty bad now and is very noticeable. It doesn't itch or irritate but just looks bad.

• Posted

Thanks, I have not heard of that one.  I wonder how the dr relates it to hemochromatosis.  Not that I am denying it - just what his thinking is.

Did you notice if you had iron in your skin - darkish when you looked at your arms and legs side on?  Or an inexplicable tan?

• Posted

Instead of bronzing I got splotchy red dry skin. I did a google image search and it showed up.
    • Posted

I have looked at (too) many images of red rashes but when drilled down none were linked to hemochromatosis.  However, I do wonder if you are having a reaction to iron in the skin.  A common cause is a problem with liver health, which I expect that your dr would be checking on this frequently and you would know if you had liver issues.

• Posted

Will also be Starting yet another round of VS as from Friday, for 5 wks in a row at least.  While doing the third,they generally do a check.

Level at 209 now, they want me down to 50/75 ish.

After that, i generally feel like a Wet Lettuce,fully drained,very tired,and constant aching legs.   Do get the odd Headache at times, but not that often.   So far, have not really experienced that ''Energy Burst''. as yet.

• Posted

Thank you all for all the information

I still feel weak & run down from VS Friday

I keep going dizzy ,

My aches & pains are still the same

One thing I've noticed is that I'm sleeping more but guess that's down to feeling run down

I know fatigue is one of our symptoms but I'm sleeping more last few nights

Also where I had my VS the week before I've noticed a small lump inside on the side where the needle went in

Is this normal ?

Beings I've only just had my second VS I don't know if this happens or not

• Posted

Having also had a VS last week, i to feel very Weak,Drained and very tired. It is going to be like that for a while, until the level you have has gone down a bit.   The Treatment alone, can do all that to you.  Also feel dizzy every so often, more so when getting up, just get up slowly.

Not sure of the lump tho, was there pressure applyed when the needle was taken out, if not u can get some Bruising on and around the needle area.

And keep your fluids up, Water,Juice,Coffee,Tea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.