Hpyerthyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am new to all of this so any information is greatly appreciated. I was referred to an Endo by my doctor and was diagnosed with Graves disease. He got some blood test done on my first visit and game me some Atenolol for a fast heart rate. That was a scary moment for me I have been active most of my life serving over 21 years in the military and now he wants me doing nothing and checking my heart rate at  all  times. Well my Doctor got blood test results back and informed me that I have Graves decease. He put me on Methimazole taking 4 pills a day. I asked him if I should keep taking the Atenolol and he told me only if my heart rate goes above 90 BPM. I have been taking the Methimazole for 4 days and my heart rate still goes above 90 BPM every day. Has anyone ever experienced this? Are antithyroid meds the best option at first? Please Help so I can stop worrying, thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You need to learn all about your disease in order to become an empowered patient.  Always get and keep a copy of any lab tests done on you so you can see your progress.  Post those results to this Board when you are seeking advice.  We can then better advise.  It took my Endo a few weeks to complete all the tests for Graves and she immediately put me on Propranolol which helped the fast heart rate.  I did not need it most of the time while I was on Methimazole.  Most docs offer three treatments, will try the meds first but quickly push for radiation or surgery and then replacement with Synthroid.  I was determined to avoid RAI or surgery.  My sister in law had RAI and said she never felt normal again.  In any case I was diagnosed in 2007 and my FT3 and FT4 were not too much out of range, approximately 10 points above normal.  However, my TSH was less than 0.001 and stayed there for two years while I was on 10 mg of Methimazole.  My TSH only rose when I researched and read about supplements and added them to my treatment plan.  I read a research study on the benefits of hyperthyroid patients taking 3,000 to 4,000 mg a day of Regular L-Carnitine.  I also learned that vitamin D was extremely important to hyperthyroid patients and many are deficient in it.  I was low on Magnesium.  When tested, I was deficient in Carnitine.  So I have added these supplements to my medical treatment and my doc was then able to lower my Methimazole dose significantly.  I now take 2.5 mg of Methimazole 4 days a week and my labs have been normal in an excellent place for a few years now.  I personally am happy with my treatment and am glad I avoided the other two.
    • Posted

Linda,

Thanks you so much for information sounds like you have it down to an art. I will educate my self and thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Rudy, Linda converted the most important things! I wanted to mention to you thou that it does take a few weeks for the Carbimazole (or equivalent) to have effect on the heart rate. Most of my nasty symptoms disappeared in the third week I was on 20mg/day (tremors, absence of periods, impossibility to fall asleep), but the heart rate kept being high. Only in the fourth week I have started seeing an effect on the resting heart rate, even thou this is noI around 65/70 which is still high for me (I am a long distance runner and have it around 45/50 normally), but indeed better than those awful weeks at 110.

I have been given propanolol as well but I have never taken it as I have soon found triggers for the high heart rate episodes: caffeine, sugar and gluten. Removing these things for me meant I could control the spikes in the rate of my heart a lot better. Try to find these triggers as well for yourself.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much, has anyone ever experienced their legs and arms feeling heavy and sore like you just finished e leg day on weight training day? My legs have felt so heavy at times I struggle putting on my pants, socks, and shoes. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

When you are hyperthyroid, you lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your muscles by urination.  These need to be replaced.  Most docs do not address this.  The muscle aches especially is due to a deficiency in Carnitine and a research study I saw suggested hyperthyroid patients take 3,000 to 4,000 mg a day of the supplement Regular L-Carnitine which you can find in a health food store.  Also Lemon Balm, also in a health food store is very good to calm the heart rate.  Vitamin D is usually deficient in hyper patients as well and is extremely important to restore good thyroid functioning.  This is in addition to any prescribed meds by your doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.