HRT for osteoporosis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone was in situation. I'm 50 and had osteopenia diagnosed mid-thirties (this was during a general check that included a dexa, otherwise I wouldn't have known). So I've been doing my best with diet, supplements etc but at my last scan, my lower spine showed osteopenia. My doc wants me to go on HRT, which is something I hadn't been thinking of otherwise, but now I have so much joint stiffness/pain that I'm considering it. (Likely hip replacement soon also.) Has anyone else taken HRT for this reason? To be honest, if it's a choice between HRT and biophosphonates, I'd probably go HRT. 

Would appreicate any feedback!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Jane I took HRT for over ten years but not for osteoporosis just menopausal symptoms. I still ended up with osteoporosis but I can tell you I felt great when I was on the HRT and had so side effects from it. Don't know if this helps but it's all I got...lol

• Posted

All I know about HRT is that it's a good idea to use the bio-identical kind, not the one made from horse's urine.  Apparently it reduces chances of developing cancer.  Sorry, no other info.  I don't take it (or any bone meds for that matter).  

• Posted

Hi Janet, as far as I know HRT is mostly used for pre- menopausal patents. Like  other meds., you may need to be monitored while on it. Ask about this. If my doctor thought it was suitable, I'd go for it, If you're just not sure, get a second opinion. It's good that your doc and you are thinking long-term with a view to minding your bones. . 

You mentioned joint pain and stiffness - that wouldn't be caused by OP. But if you need a hip replacement, I'd say your doc would delay your HRT treatment 'til you've recovered because of the possibility of clots etc. just after surgery.  Good luck.  J

• Posted

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll wait until I go to the doc. I'm pre-menopausal but I'd hoped not to take anything because worried about the cancer risk. The joint pain is intermittent (except in the hip, which I think will be addressed after the op). I'd really like to know when the new bone scanning technology will be available!

• Posted

From all the reading that is available regarding osteoporosis, It does seem that if you can determine the cause (primary or secondary) and remove the cause (in my case hormone deficiency), you can then begin taking the appropriate foods, supplements, minerals and nutrients which you will need whichever route you choose to take.

Examples are Calcium, Vitamins D3 and K2-7, Boron (Prunes), Magnesium and a host of others. Search among these forums and there is a lot of good information available.

• Posted

As I noted above, I've heard that bio-identical hormone therapy does not carry same risks as hormones derived from horse urine.  Might be worth checking into.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.