HRT for over 60s

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well, after about 5 years of putting up with feeling like a 90 year old I have finally given in and gone back on to HRT.  I am 61 and at age 50 started to feel joint pain and stiffness which has progressivly worstened since then.  I have tried everything.  Natural remedies, supplements, chiropractors, physios, oesteos, you name it.  Nothing worked and I just kept getting worse.  Yesterday I went to a new doctor and told her I was just tired.  Tired of feeling like this and tired of not being able to do things my 75 year old partner can easily do.  To make things worse, for the past few years I have gradually been getting vaginal atrophy which is now at the point where I can't be with my partner.  I really wanted to be able to manage all this without HRT but my quality of life is just rubbish.  The doctor gave me a medication called Kliogest.  I am feeling better already just knowing I have done something about all this that might make me feel like I used to.  I can't wait for it to kick in and really hope I will feel better.  My question is, has anyone else started HRT at over 60?  Did it work?  How are you feeling?  I am a bit nervous about all you hear about cancer etc, but I feel I need to weigh up quality of life.  I don't want to spend every minute of every day in pain if there is a way around it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Aus Winnie, I dont know anyone but I do understand your feelings about suffering, as I type this now, my shoulder area below it or in total agony, the swelling ALL the time is horrible,. did you experience anything like that too. I would investigate this, and of course see what your dr says, from what my doctor said when women are on it short periods of time its safer. I am for now dealing with the agony, but I dont know how I will feel if I have to deal with this for years.
    • Posted

Yes Lennie, I did have bad shoulder pain.  With that particular spot I did find some relief from Dry Needling but with other areas that are painful it didn't help.  I just feel that when I consider how I feel now at 61 and think about a possible 20 more years feeling like this and probably getting worse I just can't imagine putting up with constant pain for that long when there could be relief. I also feel that if the HRT relieves the pain I will be able to resume the exercise I enjoy and because of this I will be leading an overall healthier life style.  I will sleep better, eat better and have a more positive outlook.  I need to weigh all this up with the small risk associated with HRT and for me at the moment I am prepared to take the risk to have my life back.
  • Posted

Yes, my mom was in her 60's when she was put on HRT, but only for 3 years to reduce risks of cancer and was given premarine cream for which I recall she was very happy because they seemed to work for her. I think you'll be fine as long as you're monitored by your physician. Hope it all gets better for you.
  • Posted

One last bit of advice, my mom also took calcium pills with vitamin d, fish oil, and glucosamine chondroitin, these kept her bones and body from aching after HRT, so yes they were her medicines and I must say she lived moving about pain free with these supplements. She was always on the go enjoying life to the fullest until she was became ill from a genetic disorder.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice Patrathegreat.  I already take all those supplements and they don't seem to be doing much for me.  I will continue to take them anyway but for me personally the majority of my problems started with menopause and are therefore hormone related.  My sister takes them too and they seem to work for her but I guess everyone is different and what works for one does not necessarily work for another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.