HRT help do I take them or not ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I need some helps for advice please I am going through the menopausei have not had a full night sleep in months getting very snappy with the lack of sleep I have anxity due to my mother having a stroke last year I am also her full time carer now also doing long hours I also gave up smoking a year old I feel like I have let myself go I don't bother dressing up anymore i am not sleeping due to waking up with hot flushes about 7 times a night I am not getting sweats just getting woke up feeling very hot I just don't feel like me a lot has happened in a year when I look back I never felt like this I was happy and now I'm not a happy person at all I have even to my doctors and spoke about HRT but due to the fact I don't take tablets for anything even a headache I am scared the doctor said he could give me a low dose HRT but I want to know if a low dose will help me ? And will it still have the same side affects ? Is Anyone on a low dose and how do you feel since taking them ?

I can't take the not sleeping anymore help please xxx

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried any over the counter sleeping aids like Ambien? Or try some chamomile tea.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for replying no I have not the only reason I haven't Is I don't think they will work ?
    • Posted

You're right they won't. What works is benadryl or Valeria root, in capsules, or tea if you can tolerate the smell. I can't handle the smell in tea form but the capsules worked. Chamomile tea keeps me awake 24 hours so not always a good option. But those two I mentioned do work. Some people like melatonin, my body and cell's were screaming poison so I returned them. Since we're alike I hate pills also, look for Valeria and see if that works. I take benadryl on occasion for allergies and I sleep like a baby with no side effects. But that's your option. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I will say as a USA peri I don't get a lot of these responses
    • Posted

Forgive me.. I don't mean to be so rude. Or hormonal!!
  • Posted

Hi veronica,

Mine is not low dose probably average. But just to let you know not all HRT is the same. You can use a gel which you apply to your arms (thus missing the liver and digestive system). This is what I use it is plant based and bio identical so no horse urine which some forms of HRT are made from.

I take my progesterone part (micronised progesterone again plant based) 12 days of the month. I understand that you can use this one vaginally although it's not recommended for this I think a lot of French women and some British use it this way for the 12 days with good results.

The only reason I haven't tried this is because I'm quite sexually active and I'm not sure what effect it would have on my husband.

I've been on it 10 weeks wish I'd started sooner. I still have trouble sleeping but at least when I'm laying awake I can cuddle my man who is like a radiator and feel snugly instead of burning up.

Depression and anxiety lifting nicely sex much more comfortable some other niggling pains improved also confidence and I have a spring in my step again.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply

I did not know you could get patches ? Do they work just aswell and any side affects ? I need to start taking something soon

X

• Posted

Hi Veronica, I know how you feel, I was given HRT, low dose as well and it did not work for me. So my gynecologist put me low dose birth control pills and that worked. I would say try it see if it works, a week after taking it I was getting worse rather than better, luckily there was that option and I went with it.

Yet, many women go on HRT without any issues, but without trying you won't know. If sleeping is the problem I have you two suggestions below. If it's more than just sleeping then try HRT and see how it works.

• Posted

Blimey bless you your coping with such a lot!!!! Well done for giving the fags up😀 Difficult thing to do as an ex smoker. 

I'm on a low dose of HRT for the last 31/2 weeks and I must say I feel better than I did. It's not got me back to where I am normally yet but I'm hopeful.

If a helping had is there to just try what have you got to loose....??? Some may disagree but that's my thoughts for what there worth.

• Posted

Hi Veronica - I am now on HRT. I tried evrything to take away the sweats & sleepless nights but they just didnt work! I spoke to a doctor friend who said that HRT has nothing to do with breast cancer, she said if it is in your family history then it can bring it on earlier! but all the hype over the years was incorrect. I am on a low dose of HRT but its wonderful I feel like my old self again, there is no way I will come of this now! Give it a go, any problems go back to your doctor & get a higher dose! With love & understanding - BarbaraX
  • Posted

Hi Like you I have suffered for nearly 7 years with horrendous hot fllushes.  I would waken 12.30, 2.30 4.30 and finally get too sleep for the alarm to go off at 6pm. New Year new me, I am 56 and just started HRT 2 weeks ago. I take elleste combi. 1 tablet containing both hormones and a low dose of 2mg and 1mg. 2 weeks in and my flushes are a thing of the past, if I do get one it is virtually unnoticable.  I sleep until about 5am when I need the loo and cannot believe I was too scared to take them.  I do have sore nipples and my stomach is a bit bloated which I hope will ease off after a while. I feel less anxious and weepy, less achey and more alert.  I am under no illusions that once I come off it could all start again, and as I have had a flebitis and more at risk than most, but too be honest it is nice to feel feminine again and not just a sweat blob. also noticed hair has more body.  One other thing, please don't shoot me for this, but try to get some help with your mum if you can as you are entitled to a life and are no good if you are so tired all the time.  I have a 16 year old son, work part time and have needy inlaws whose daughters have b******* off as they cannot stand the demands. I got to a point where I wondered where I had gone, hence starting HRT.  Take care and be brave.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your comment smile

i went doctors today to have a talk and he suggested that i take Elleste Duet 1mg !!!

I see you said that is what you taking how are you finding it ? and 2 weeks in you said you feel better ? do you have any symptoms due to taking them ?

My friendssay i am mad to take HRT just for hot flushes and lack of sleep but untill they are in that situation they cant comment ? i need to be hearing good reviews so i know i have nothing to worry about smile

Yes i understand about getting help with mumhowever i think if i was getting enough sleep and no flushes i would feel ok to carry on as i dont mind it ?

xx

• Posted

I was sleeping no more than 2 to 3 hours. Back to normal since on low dose hrt via a gel. If you have no health reasons to say don't and you comfortable with taking it give it a go. It's not for everyone but been great for me 😊
    • Posted

Hi thanks

I went doctors today and had a long chat but I am still scared to take them he has given me elleste duet ?? Not sure if anyone has had good results from this I will ask in another discussion xxx

• Posted

I'm on estrogen only due to hysterectomy so I'm afraid I can't tell you. No dr would prescribe something unless they thought suitable. My personal preference was gel from talking on this forum but we are all different. If you really don't want to there are alternative methods that can help. I'm happy to take it but if it stops suiting me I'll think again. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Veronica, what you have is a low dose estradiol equivalent, just a different name. It is not made from horse urine so you should be fine to try it. If after a week or two it's not working, go back to your doctor ask for low dose birth control pills which helped me when the first HRT pills didn't work. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Veronica,

Yes it is worrying but I gave in and started using HRT.

My view now is the risk has to be worth it so many things have improved. Big things like depression and anxiety but also other things the last week or so I've noticed I have a much better memory.

I did try and hang in there and hope it would get better but mine was getting worse, I think.

I went because I was so hot all the time and no libido, but I'm really quite shocked at how many things I'd been putting up with and in some cases just got used to.

I've gone from always feeling yuk to thinking hey today I felt quite normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.