HS and hormones

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am a newby only developing this bit of fun in the last few weeks. Prior to this for the last four years I  suffered re -ocurring boils on my face and occassionally on my arm. The condition seemed to be triggered by pores blocked by sweat or dust. As the years progressed they increased in regularity to the point they were monthly (got to love pretending in public and at work that there is not a large festering boil on the end of your nose- its all about attude). Any way after throwing a tantram in the (new) doctors office she finally listened to me and took on board that the boils occured at the same time of my cycle and that I thought they were hormone/ perimenapausal related.

The doctor determined  at the age of 45 plus I had developed PCO and I was prescribed a form of the pill . The medication is working well, facial boils gone, however I have now been diagnosed with HS to fill that void in my life.

My re-occuring facial  boils, PCO and HS  all  have hormones as the common denominator.

My question is 1) has anyone else had a common experince to me and 2) has anyone gone seen a endocrinolist and found it beneficial.

Most people seem to be refered to a dematologist.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hormones play a role in HS because your immune system changes during your cycle. HS is autoimmune or auto inflammatory so it often comes out with your cycle.
  • Posted

Hi I used to have very bad acne as a teenager which I understand is linked to HS developing.  I have never seen an endocrinolist but only a dermatologist.  x
    • Posted

Ps what does PCO stand for please?  x
    • Posted

Poly cystic overies, which apparently they are re branding as it doesn't always affect your overies. Most women who have this hormonal imbalance have it from puberty, but apparently you can pick it up later in life just like HS. 
  • Posted

Hi Ingoldsby. I have suffered with HS since the age of 16, I am now 45. I always thought it had something to do with hormones as it seemed every time I had my monthly cycle I seemed to have flared ups. I had a full abdominal hysterectomy everything took away including my cervix and ovaries. 6 months on I'm getting more lumps coming up. I am not on hormone replacement due to the hight risk of breast cancer. As I have lost 2 of my closest relatives to it and the doctors advised against it. I can't see HS having any link to hormones at all. As I have said in previous post I avoid nightshade veg and have a gluten free and dairy free diet which I was advised to do. I've been strict with the diet for the last 8 months and have not introduced any of them back on my diet, and to no avail I'm still getting outbreaks. Some people have however followed this diet and haven't had outbreaks since. I've had surgery under both armpits and my sweat glands taken away. I had both arms cut in to deeply and had a district nurse in everyday to pack the wounds until they healed. Yet again for the last 4 months I've had a lump under my arm pit that comes up like a painful blister until it bursts and all the nasty stuff comes out. The doc prescribed once again Erythromycin for a period of 3 months and since then the lumps have come up everywhere. Now I have been referred back to the dermatologist to try humira I will she her in January for more blood test to see if I'm OK to have it. Here's hoping something works because it's such a chronic debilitating disease. Good luck and I hope you find a solution
    • Posted

You may have other food sensitivities. I can't have coconut (includes palm oil) or nuts along with nightshades. People have different sensitivities that their body react to. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi crystal I can have nuts I'm allergic to them. I don't know what else to eliminate
    • Posted

Hi! I want to thank you for your story. I have been on the path of erythomycin and took this for one year. My effect on that was it made it worse and it hurt my intestines and I have a "leaky gut" now from it. Which is where this is all coming from. Since you been on that antibiotic please make sure you heal your gut before you start Humira... a couple of people from my hs support group has created stomach ulcers. However, I didn't. So I guess it depends on you. Humira was great for me, the only down fall was because it supress my whole immune system I seemed to be sick all the time and When and if I got a boil it wouldn't heal. I suffered more with it.
  • Posted

Have you been to a homeopathic doctor that has treated HS? I have not tried an endocrine doctor, I will definitely try that. My next appointment is with an allergy doctor to check my igG. To find what is setting off my condition . I cut out night shades and boy did this help but I still get crazy break out right around my period and it is happening as we speak. I would love to know what happens at your endocrine doctor visit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.