HSV symptoms and 2 negative IGG tests over 8 months. Need advice!

Posted , 16 users are following.

A little over 8 months ago I had mostly protected sex twice with a guy over a wknd. The first 10 minutes or so was unprotected both times, as well as unprotected oral sex. Within a few days I noticed a slight burning sensation vaginally and within a week I had flu like symptoms. The burning got worse and for a week felt like it was on fire.. My mouth and face had the same feeling for a few days. I noticed a small cut/ ulcer on my lip. Went to the dr. and she insisted it was not herpes. She tested for basic stds and advised it was a bacterial infection.. ureaplasma. Gave me medicine and the burning temporarily went away for maybe a week or two. During the first few months post exposure I've experienced the constant burning, extreme lower backaches on and off, knee pain and burning eyes. My left eye felt like there was something constantly in it and sometimes blurry vision. That lasted about a month. At 4 mos. I went and did the IGG test knowing it would be positive for hsv 2. It wasn't: hsv 1: .2, hsv 2: .17. For the past few months I've just had the constant light burning sensation vaginally. About 2 months ago I broke out in itchy hives around my waist band and bra line, as well as the inner upper thighs.. Close to the vagina. The hives disappeared within hours of appearing so I assumed it was from tight clothing although I've never experienced that before. About a month or so ago, I noticed a pimple which a white head on the top of my vagina, which I popped and white pus came out. It disappeared after being popped. Shortly after, I've had 2-3 itchy burny bumps on my inner right thigh. They appeared a week within each other, not all at the same time. Only one became a pimple in which I popped and again, white pus. A few days ago I noticed a stinging feeling on my labia and noticed a tiny bump. Yesterday I squeezed it, and again, white not watery pus came out. 2 days ago, which would be a little after 8 months post exposure I had another IGG test done. Knew it'd be positive this time as I've read it can take up to 6 months for some ppl to develop antibodies. Negative again. HSV 1: .26 and hsv 2: .11. I feel almost certain I have hsv but why am I still getting negative results?? I've read that in some ppl it can take over a year and others never build the antibodies. Why is that? And if it's not hsv wth could it be??

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You don't have herpes. Your IgG tests are negative and 3 months is already good enough, so at 4 and 8 months with little change, you're definitely good. Also, your symptoms do not sound like herpes. You should trust your results in this instance. If you are still convinced you have herpes, then insist on a swab the next time you get a pimple, although I bet it will come back negative as well. Probably just a regular pimple.

• Posted

Thank you for your response! I've stalked Google and forums and see your replies often. Have you heard of it taking longer than 8 mos to a year for a positive igg? And if so, why is that? I've read that some ppl never produce the antibodies but can never find much info on that..

• Posted

I hope that your symptoms are stress related, not sure how anxiety can play such a role. If you can find out if the guy has HSV 1 or 2 would be good. However with your scores it is safe to say that you are in the clear.

There is a Western Blot test which can also be done through the University of Washington. Google ( Western blot university of Washington ) for more info.

• Posted

I would like to think stress.. I have bad anxiety in general, but idk. Seems like a lot of symptoms since the act. I did reach out to him when the symptoms occurred. He acted like a complete d***. Said he had a complete physical (whatever that means) and he's good. And to never contact him again. But a month or so later he text to see how I was and basically wanted to hook up again. Never asked if I was tested and/ or the results. Which is extremely odd to me. I feel like he has it and knowingly gave it to me.. Assuming I'm infected.

• Posted

No, I've not heard of it taking that long. Even the HSV experts say 3 months is good. It is very unusual for someone to not develop detectable antibodies, and if it were to happen, it would be more likely in those with very weak or compromised immune systems.

• Posted

I am at 14 weeks now and all of my results have come back negative as well via IGg up to 12 weeks. I too had these pimples appear on my butt and one on the pubis area. All doctors say is that it's folliculitis. I did another IGg yesterday (14 weeks) to see and a full std panel as well to make sure it ain't something else.

Have you experienced any I need buttock aches or unusual fatigue or slight headaches making you foggy a bit by any chance ?

• Posted

There was a period within the first few months where I had extreme lower back pain. Mainly at night and would keep me up. And I've definitely experienced fatigue. Idk if it's related to this or due to the stress/ depression of thinking about it all the time. I was sure both my tests were going to show positive and while I should be happy with the results, I feel more confused. If not hsv, what 😕

• Posted

Your HSV 1 index rose a little from what you wrote.

Any way you can ask the guy to get tested ? That would be a good way to find out if he is a carrier?

• Posted

Oh and next time you get a pimple ask to get the pus swabbed for hsv. It's worth the try to see what turns out. I tried the other day but the GP said it ain't worth swabbing since it did not look like a blister. I will insist next time it appears as well.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Type 1 did rise a bit. Noticed that too. But Ive had constant symptoms and from what I've read, that's unlikely with hsv 1. And it would be genital to genital which I've read is rare also. And mine don't look like the typical blisters either, but will definitely do that next time. Very frustrating! Thanks for the reply!!

• Posted

Constant symptoms are not typical of either HSV type, which is another reason why it doesn't sound like herpes. Your pimples heal too quickly as well. Slight fluctuations in IgG are to be expected, so the slight increase for HSV1 and decrease for HSV2 can be disregarded, as they're negligible. You should only be concerned about significant increases. Stress and anxiety can take a toll on your health and cause physical symptoms, plus make you more paranoid about every slightest thing, so that could well be all that's happening here. Try to relax and take reassurance in your results.

• Posted

I'm not sure why it's coming up negative, it sounds just like HSV... I've had HSV for a little over a year...

They do look like pimples at times, n if you were to pop them you would get puss type stuff that comes out...

I've gotten them in my labia before and it was so very uncomfortable that I had to pop it...

Have you experienced burning while peeing during first outbreak?

• Posted

If I were you I'd get a second opinion from a different doctor... Best of luck

• Posted

My insurance doesn't start up til February and will def be making an appt. I've never experienced burning with urination but I have had an almost constant burning sensation in the vulva area. Occasionally itchiness too. Especially in the beginning. I just went to a lab testing site to have the igg test done both times and both times I was shocked that it was in the normal range. I feel like there's no other explanation for these symptoms 😕

Have you had any other similar symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.