HSV2 and Lysine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all smile

New to this site!

I was diagnosed with HSV2 in 2013, and have around 4-5 outbreaks each year. I was wondering if anyone had used a daily Lysine supplement to suppress recurrent outbreaks? I've read up quite a bit online about it, and have just ordered some 1000mg tablets. Has anybody tried this and noticed a difference in recurrent outbreaks?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi :D welcome!

I have just been diagnosed with hsv2 also. As well as hsv1 cos I'm just super lucky ...

I've been thinking about taking lysine too.

Have you not thought about suppressive therapy?

What are you're outbreaks like? So far mine only consists of mild red sore patches but they don't seem to blister etc. I also get groin pain.

• Posted

Hi šŸ˜Š

I asked my DR about suppressive therapy and he seemed to shy away from prescribing it for some reason!

My outbreaks seem quite strange, I never get any warning symptoms at all, which is really annoying as I've read that starting treatment works well if taken as soon as the warning signs appear. I just seem to wake up one morning with what looks like a tiny cut, I never have a blister, just a cut which weeps then disappears after about 5 days. The little 'cut' is always extremely painful though! I never have the groin pain either. I'm currently experiencing an outbreak that just appeared this morning so I've started on my stash of aciclovir!

• Posted

Ah I see, yeah I've just noticed another cut too, that's how I was diagnosed via a swab from a cut!

Acicylvoir doesn't seem to do much for me... I still get symptoms develop further.

Are u in the uk? They seem to be less keen on suppressive.

• Posted

I started taking the lysine tabs about 2 wks ago... But I've only had one OB so I won't really know if they do much. I'm still gonna take them though! Although it's not meant to be good for your kidneys to take them long term without any breaks in between.

I also got the small paper cut thing, then just two little spots, they never blistered or anything but my God the pain of that little cut every time I had to wipe myself sad

I've got a small bit of an itch down there this evening and am petrified it's a second OB starting. I got my period on Sunday and had read some women get an OB at that time of the month, I'd been ok till now and was maybe counting my chickens too soon... Hopefully it's just a slight unrelated itch though.

• Posted

I think it just needs to run its course really, I've never had an outbreak and not took medication so can't compare the healing time.

Yes I'm in the UK so that may be why! I have however discovered superdrug online (a UK pharmacy if your not from the UK) where you can actually order suppressive therapy online, I've used the service before for treatment when my DRs was closed, I'm currently considering ordering a 3 months suppressive course!

I was diagnosed through a swab too, I went to a clinic after crying on the loo going for a wee because it was stinging so much!

• Posted

Are you taking 1000mg or 500mg daily? I've just ordered some from Holland and Barrett as they have the lysine tablets on their buy one item get another for a penny, so they'll arrive tomorrow šŸ˜Š

Whenever I feel like I've got an outbreak I get a magnifying mirror and the torch on my phone!

I've only ever had one outbreak which seemed to be triggered by my time of the month, however I was going through a stressful time of going for an interview for a job I really wanted, so was probably a mixture of hormones and stress! I still haven't figured out my main triggers for outbreaks and it's been 3 years since I was diagnosed šŸ˜”

• Posted

Haha I'm exactly the same when it comes to potential outbreaks!

I photographed my bits every day before diagnosis to try and keep track of what was going on and now I have a very dodgy collection on my phone but I don't want to get rid of them because I want to reference for future outbreaks.

Aha okay I may look into super drug then as I'm scared of a crazy outbreak Happening when I least expect it. I think I want to go on suppressive therapy forever through fear of suffering otherwise.

• Posted

I ordered 2 courses of aciclovir for emergencies, and it worked out just a little bit dearer than 2 x prescription charges. The 3 months suppression course is Ā£49 which I think is quite a good price! I think I may also go down the suppressive therapy route, even if it gives me one less outbreak a year it would be worth it!
    • Posted

I take two of the 500mg tabs each morning.... But to be honest if this feeling I have now does develope into an outbreak I won't bother keeping up taking them! My doctor also said to try echinacea just to build up myself so am taking those each day too... Between those and all the supplements I was already taking I'm like a walking health shop! šŸ˜‚
    • Posted

Try 35% hydrogen peroxide and get a spray bottle you mixed one drop with bottle water, next day 2 drops than 3 drops up until you hit 25 drop than go back down to 24,23,22,21 ect, take a hot shower dry off and spray that on the back of your neck and low spine where it hide ..than rub dsmo cream over top it...you herps will be gone for good in 40 days or less,also boost you system up with OJ,Lysne,B1B2 and don't get nothin with gelatin ,

• Posted

HI Iā€™m just wondering do you mean after every day you build up a drop do you scrap everyday with one more from in it, for example I spray my neck on day one with one drop with water then day 2 I spray with 2 drops.... ? Xx
    • Posted

email me and I will send you over the break down that way you can see with your own eyes

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

After a lot more larger studies, including in humans, it turns out that lysine is not clinically proven to do much and HSV experts/researchers no longer give it any weight. Reputable sites will state this and not endorse lysine for herpes as a result (but won't necessarily advise against it either).

Some people with herpes nevertheless swear by it, so it is a personal choice. I don't take any (nor have I changed my diet), and would rather spend the money on multivitamins, fish oils, etc., but that's me.

If you do take lysine, just note that it does not reduce sexual transmission risks and is not a substitute for the three approved meds, plus taking too much lysine (more than recommended) can supposedly interfere with your body's natural mineral absorption, etc.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments šŸ˜Š I'm going to give it a try anyway. Have you found anything that really helps with speeding up the healing process during an outbreak at all?
    • Posted

Not sure, but I do like my multivitamins et al. for overall health and topical tea tree oil for itching, although I may now be allergic to the latter. sad
    • Posted

Oh no, I'm trying the baking soda approach currently, but it stings so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.