Huge cyst

Posted , 9 users are following.

I went to the doctor having noticed my abdomen waa expanding and with what I thought was gallstones . I was sent for an ultrasound which revealed a cyst rising from my pelvic area filling all the space up to my ribs about 36cm x 23cm x13cm . I then had a MRI scan but the gynae team have been taking a while to consult with other teams due to still being unconfirmed the source of the cyst as my ovaries are hidden by the cyst. Also there is loose fluid in my pouch of Douglas ( never knew I had one of those! !) This next week I have a CT angiogram abdomen which I am abit scared about to be honest especially as there has been no communication as to why it is being done . I will see the consultant again after this.

Any comforting words or advice welcome :-)

I have carried on working as normal and do feel really tired . Bloods are normal which is good .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Your cyst is even bigger than mine was . I had one that was 30+ cm. It turned out to be an early stage ovarian cancer. I had this thing growing for years. very weird. That is not to say that is what yours is. I am doing fine. The open abdominal surgery was tough nut manageable

Just be happy to get rid of it

I have my figure back and I feel healthy

Good luck to you.

• Posted

That should day 20 cm, not 30. I've learned through my experience that in the moment things feel very difficult, but they pass.

• Posted

Thank you . Its a big comfort hearing from people who have been through a similar experience and are now out the other side .I don't relish the thought of surgery but will be glad to get the cyst removed

• Posted

Hi julia07667 i can relate 2 years ago the tumour was 6lb in weight x
  • Posted

Hi Julia

That is scary! Obviously you will find out much more wehn you have your CT scan but all I wanted to say is try not to worry too much as Cysts like yours are very common - hundreds of women find them every year and you are certainly not alone. Yours is huge ( I had a dermoid ovarian cysts which was like a large orange and I was told that was big!) and be prepared that you may well be undergoing surgery in the near future but it will be for the best!

Don't be scared toa sk lots of questions and just make sure that you get all the info you require before surgery. 

Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks Angie thats helpful . I'll be brave and ask lots of questions . I like to know all the facts .hopefully next Friday the consultant can give me the how , what and when . Thank you . X

• Posted

Please don't assume the worst.  I had a 16cm cyst with septations which sometimes indicate cancer.  Upon initial discovery, the ER doctor and ultra sound tech turned me into a nervous wreck, needlessly so.  

Like you, my blood work was normal and my neoplasm/cyst turned out to be benign.  Look to the positive signs.  Worst case you will need to have it removed, best case you will feel SO much better once it is removed.  

Blessings to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much Rhonda . This site has been so helpful hearing from lovely people who have been through it too . I'm not worried its anything sinister as the gynae consultant is sure its benign. Just big and constricting everything v! Xx

• Posted

I am a month out from having surgery for a very large bigger than a basketball ovarian cyst.and a total hysterectomy . Mine had mural nodules and septated.big signs of cancer and a elevated ca 125 of 85.I also needed hernia repair from a previous operation.I was very worried  thanks to lots of prayers mine was cancer free.I  had a little trouble with retaining water that just went away yesterday. I just weighed myself and I lost 30 lbs. Everyone was amazed after surgery that my stomach was gone. They put in three drains because I had  lots of empty spaces that wants to fill up with fluid.I  have had two drains removed one to go hoping it will be removed next week.I am 63 and in the states.I  was so sure it was cancer but thank god I was wrong. I was cut frombreast bone to pubic bone and have had very little pain. Julia try not to worry as most are not cancerous.
    • Posted

Hi didi

It sounds like you have really been through it ! I hope you continue to heal and feel better . Glad your cyst was cancer free . Many thanks for sharing your story xx

• Posted

Julia this is my second time replying to this hope this one goes threw. Thank you I will pray all goes well during your surgery and you have a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Julia,

Know our thoughts and prayers are with you. This is a wonderful forum with Sisters of support. I wish something like this was there when I was falsely told I had cancer and wouldn't live out the year.

The abdomen is a mysterous place that kind hide a myriad of things many benign, some not. I know the terror of being diagnosed with cancer.

I will tell you I wondered how the Dr. could know that before any tests were done!

I also know the elation of learning the initial diagnosis was wrong.

So my advice to you is:

Trust your instincts, don't let fear slow you down. Say thank you for sharing, now step aside. Stay strong and fearless.

Get support when you feel scared. Don't be afraid to let people in. But don't be offended when others are too scared themselves to be there for you.

Insist on explanations until you're satisfied. Don't let professionals be dismissive. They do this everyday, this is your first time. You deserve answers.

Deal with what you know. Don't invite the worse case tunnel of no reward. Even bad news has options and you are STRONG, trust your instincts.

Keep a journal of tests, results, dates. These are useful for when you're alone and not as overwhelmed. You can make notes for further questions. It's also good for other Drs. you may see and less stressful because you don't have to remember every detail & number.

Focus on the other side of this HEALTH, VITALITY, JOY!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.